Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt 2001 wont start!!!!!

jdubretro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VT - manual 6 cyclinder
Hi having trouble with vt.
First i had 2 sets of keys one worn and the other new. The new one operated the keyless entry the older one was stubon and only on occassion but both keys started the car. Then i lost the good set so left with shitty key. Have had over 2 months of trouble starting the car. Got new battery for the shitty key. Did a 2 hour reset thing that i read online. And car was able to be started via tow start. Drove it around the block, came home turned it off and quickly back on and it started again.
Then waited 10 mins went to start it and wont go. Tryed to roll start but nothing. Will this be a key issue or a startermotor please any help.

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
could be ignition, could be a number of things im guessing? probably best to get it to an auto elec

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
If one key worked and one didnt chances are its nothing to do with the starter, sometimes you have to clean the key head so it can make contact when you put it in (common problem with vs-vy keys), also when you get in check to see if the alarm light is flashing under the radio, when I got in my old car I had to start it within 15 seconds otherwise the immobiliser would start flashing and I would have to lock and unlock the car a few times so it would stop flashing so I could start it, so try that too (just some simple things to try that are quick and easy to rule out)

jdubretro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys will try cleaning key area and called the locksmith quoted 500 for the key said its not programmed any more??? How can this be when i have started it 4 times off the key since the battery was changed.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
Last edited:

jdubretro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car battery good used a couple. And yes replaced battery ourselves and car went. Now locksmith says its wiped the code. That doesnt sound possible if it went after we played with the key.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
the key you have worked

either way you need another key ..if no better

off the the auto electrican so he can get the car started with the new key (just needs a scanner if your BCM is ok )

Last edited:

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
If your only remaining key is no longer working due to flat battery or tampering then you need a new key.

Since your only remaining key is not working the locksmith cannot program a new key from your existing key. Places like mister minute etc will now be useless to you.

You need to find a locksmith who will take your VIN, call a magic number with your VIN and program a new key using a the code they receive. In Australia I've been quoted about $180 for this which is a lot more than $100 for just copying an existing key.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Before you go paying a few hundred for keys to be cut or reprogramed ect make sure thats defiantly the problem first, theres been so many times people have been given that advice on here, payed a few hundred then that hasnt even been the problem.

Most problems have a way of being found out and if you just go and start paying money to have things fixed just as a guess youll be in the thousands in no time and you could still have the problem, go to a holden dealership and tell them your key problem and see what they advise, it sounds like a key problem but could be something to do with the immobiliser like on my old car and a new key wouldnt have fixed it