Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 99 Acclaim Starting Problem

VTRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hi,

My VT used to start straight away. However, for several months now it cranks over awhile before it will start up. Sometimes I turn it ON, wait until the fuel pump stops running, then turn it OFF, then ON again & then it starts. Plus, sometimes it goes totally DEAD & I have to wait for about a minute or so before trying again, then it starts.

A garage diagnosis was the fuel return valve & has just replaced this but it is only marginally better, it still cranks over awhile before starting up.

I would appreciate any ideas as I do not want to take it back to a garage to try out more of their costly "ideas".

Rob

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
This is a long shot, but have you replaced your fuel filter lately?

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Check for a clogged fuel filter or fuel lines and defective fuel pump.

Also make sure the tank vent lines aren't clogged.

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
I have a 99 VT acclaim and I think I have a similar problem. But I think it's just to do with the ignition or somewhere abouts. If I rest my foot on the accelerator slightly when starting it it's fine.

prowsey

PROWSEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT acclaim commodore
yer i have the same problem with my vt acclaim same year 2 99 wen ya strt it it dosnet connect with the key or sumthing and yer sstops the ignition if ya fiddle with it it strts but i usally jst rev the fuk outta it and it strts i think its in the ignition :ranting:

vt com

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
fuel pump relay maybe

VTRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Thanks guys for the feedback - sorry I didn't reply earlier - I didn't get any email notification of replies to my post. Anyway - I had to take it back to the garage & this time they kept it in for longer, trying it each day. They finally found that there was a tiny pin hole in a flexible hose in the fuel tank, possibly caused by rubbing against something. They had never seen this before. So they also replaced the fuel pump as the hoses are all part of it. And now it is starting like it should - straightaway.

Rob