Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Acclaim dash lights come on and off for no obvious reason

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Hey guys, I've had my 98 VT Acclaim for about a month now, a couple of times I've been driving and the ABS warning light has come on, followed a few seconds later by the Traction Control light and the Drivetrain warning light from memory. And then within half a minute later they usually all turn off again. It's done this 4 or 5 times so far since I've had the car.

Then today on the way to work those 3 turned on again, and a few seconds later they were joined by the oil warning light and i think the airbag warning light?, then it starts beeping a few times, and also I noticed the temp gauge had dropped to zero. It stayed like this for 5-10 mins then they all turned off again and the temp gauge jumped back to life.

Does anyone know what the problem is here?

Any help is much appreciated

cheers
Sam

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Ok by ABS module you mean the big box in the engine bay with all the brake lines running into it?
Do you know what exactly it is inside the module that is failing?
And I don't understand why the ABS has anything to do with the other warning lights?

cheers

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
It is the electrical part of the abs module some of the things that get affected are oil light, trac light, abs light, temp gauge, fuel gauge,engine check light selector light if fitted ie park drive etc

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Yeh you can still drive, But when it completley fail's i'd suggest getting it sorted.

Being that it's to do with the brake's, Even though they will always still work.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Just means the traction control, abs and some gauges on the dash won't work when the lights are on.
There is a couple of guys here in Australia who fix the units. Might be worthwhile getting one sent over as I can imagine a new unit would cost an arm and a leg.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Ok by ABS module you mean the big box in the engine bay with all the brake lines running into it?
Do you know what exactly it is inside the module that is failing?
And I don't understand why the ABS has anything to do with the other warning lights?

cheers
Unplug the ABS module and you will see that most of the warning lights will turn off. I know it is strange but a faulty ABS module does throw a whole bunch of warning lights. There is a guy on ebay who sells reconditioned modules at a reasonable price.

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Digging up my old thread, I had this ABS module (from my VT Acclaim) fixed by an electronics repairer soon after posting this question here, since then it's been fine, occasionally the Traction Control light has come on straight after starting, but turning the car off then on again gets rid of it.

Anyway, I have just bought a VX Calais and it's now having the same problem (throwing up an array of warning lights) - can someone tell me if the module from my VT Acclaim will work on the VX Calais? Both have Traction Control. I haven't had a chance to look at the 2 module's myself yet to compare them - what do I need to look for?

cheers
Sam