Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Aircon problem

davesgreenvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey all,
Lately my aircon just blows no cold air out. So i'm just wondering what the problem culd be and a rough price range? Cheers.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

that one is about the hardest to fix over theinternet

first make sure your AC switch is working, engine running, fan on and press the air con button, the small light should turn on

At the same time have a listen to see if the compressor in the engine clicks in

Most times it wont click in ( rarely will it click on and not work, but it may just and have barely enough gas to cool the system ) , this may happen due to a few things , damaged / siezed compressor , low gas , electrical fault

Electrical fault can be wiring or relay or fuses , not sure exactly but only 2 placed check under driver dash area and in the engine bay compartment, the covers tell you what is there, you can temporarily swap relay , engine of swap say AC with lights if they are the same rating and then start car and re test , you may be lucky and just have dead relay

Most times is it low or lack of AC gas , no gas will not even try and start the compressor as the system has a low pressure warning switch ( i think it is on receiver dryer behind the grill , some testes may take it off and bridge it up and do a test - DONT DO THIS YOURSELF, dont play around with wiring , safely swapping a fuse or relay is fine, bridging out to test is not unless you are trained in the work )
A low or very low gas pressure will also trip the switch and make the compressor not turn on

Typically gas leaks from seals on hoses , and fittings

Finally the compressor may have leaked oils and siezed or just to old and had it.

I have had about 5 commodore all eventually with different problems

Most popular is low gas, luckily a regas fixes it for 3 to 4 years

My current SS has issues, i had it checked over and the compressor was seized plus no gas , i had a use compressor placed and regased and it worked for 3 weeks then stopped cooling again.

Took the car back and luckily when he done the work last time he added dye in the gas and sealer , he did check the car with the electronic sniffer before giving it back to me

This time is was low on gas, he added some and it fired up it cooled again, but the bad part is that the electronic sniffer found traces of leaked gas under the dash so the internal condenser under the dash in the heater assembly has a leak / hole in it , also it has / may have something ( TX valve or something ) there as well maybe causing a leak

For now i have left it as i have done insurance / rego / 4 tyres and replace the compressor in november , so i need to wait before spending more $$$ on the same thing

Oh the dye he used is like yellow so he should me on the hoist all the seals fitting and compressor were clean not a leak in the engine bay , so have a look at your car, if you see yellow stains / paint like honey its leaking there

Sorry for bad news , i have spent $600 so far and it will be $800 to rip the dash out and change the evaporator and regas the car ( ebay s $150-$250 evaporator, re-gas say $100 and 1 days full time work to strip out car and redo )

Other than that the only other issues i had with other cars was tiny holes in the system, usually old hoses or the condensor ( air con radiator in front of car before the normal car water radiator )

regards
george