Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt alternator messing up?

lynx2093

Reaction score
Members Ride
None.
Hi guys I'm having a problem with my vt Berlina

A few nights ago i was driving and my head unit turned off then back on after a few seconds.. I didn't think much of it at the time

Then today when i was leaving work it did it again but happened about 4 times and took about 10 seconds to come on.. I thought maybe it was the heat since my car was sitting in the sun for hours and was very hot inside

Then tonight when driving i turned my high beems on.. Head unit cut out for a few seconds and all the dash lights came on as if i lost all the electronics for a few seconds

Kept doing it on and off all night. Some times i high been and it's fine other times it does the above

Are these symptoms of a faulty alternator?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Possibly a faulty voltage regulator on the alternator. Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running, it should be around 14 - 14.4 volts, much lower or higher is no good.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
I'd be checking your earths and battery terminals first, then the connections on the back of the alternator.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I would urgently check the main positive feed wire from the battery to the starter motor, as well as the positive wire on the large post of the alternator.

A few years ago, I had the same symptoms in another car- the head unit and dash lights would randomly cut off and flick back on again.

I thought I'd get round to checking it.... I never did. The car burnt to the ground as the main battery cable to the starter was very slightly chafing on the chassis over slight bumps, and cutting out all electrical power. Until one day it rubbed badly enough to weld itself to the chassis and short out, causing a massive fire that totaled the car in three minutes. Please go get it checked out.