Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT alternator problem?

KimiClaire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series II, VT Commodore Series II
Hey, the other day I got a flat battery. I called NRMA to come and jump start me. The guy only bought a jumper pack not a vehicle with jumper leads. My car would jump straight away but turn off a few seconds later, he told me it was either my battery or my alternator. That night a mate came and jumpstarted me off his ute and it ran fine without turning off and worked fine until today, when as I was driving my car would jerk when I touched my lights in anyway. I had to drive for 100kms on low beams lol... About 60 kms in to the drive I had to indicate around a corner and the car lost all power. I turned off my lights and stereo and phone charger and it turned on. I put my lights on and it turned off again. I eventually got it to start and stay on with the lights on and drove it home (without high beams and indicators). In my drive way I decided to mess around and see if it would turn off if I put highs on and it didnt until I took them off and it died instantly..

When I had the flat battery, before my mate jumped it he checked my alternator and said it was giving out 14 volts or something like that and all he did before trying to jump it was change my starter relay over to my high beams relay if that makes any difference.

Now Im trying to work out whats actually wrong with it?

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I had the exact same thing a week and a half ago by the sounds of it.
My problem was the voltage regulator wiring from the battery to the alternator (I think).

I'll have a look at my receipt from the auto-elec tomorrow and let you know the specifics if you like. I would give you the details now but the receipt is in my glovebox and my car isn't with me at the moment.

KimiClaire

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I just took the relays out of my old commy and put them in this one and it started first go, and didnt turn off when I put highs on or anything. Going to take it for a drive soon and test it out and hope it is only that because I dont feel like dealing with any of the other options over easter lol

KimiClaire

Reaction score
Members Ride
It worked ok for about 2 hrs of driving now its doing the same thing but works fine as long as I dont have my indicators and lights on at the same time :/ Is it possible that I have a short in the wiring as it seems to lose power when I indicate with lights on? but works fine during the day?

KimiClaire

Reaction score
Members Ride
After 3 days at the auto elecs, it turned out to be a lot of damaged wires and messed up wires and the lights were shorting out due to heavy duty globes or something.. Was $750 alone in labour.. But he did me a favour and knocked it down to $450 for me... And cleared all my error codes as well :)