Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Berlina with rough idle and dies upon acceleration

Pherlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina
Last night I was driving to a friend's place and my car died. It's a V6 VT Berlina with just over 300k on the clock.
I could restart it, but the idle was really rough, and when I tried accelerating it just died again. We let it cool down for a bit and retried. It still had a rough idle, but let me rev very lightly.
Higher acceleration resulted in popping sounds from the intake, but no increase in revs. I was able to limp it the rest of the way to my friend's, very slowly. If I accelerated harder it would pop and bog down, but as soon as I took my foot off, the revs would go up.

Any ideas would be helpful. I'm not very mechanical, but if there's a bit of an easy fix I'd be happy to try it.
Cheers :)

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. buy a can of carby cleaner, and while the engine is running, spray it around the intake manifold, where the motor runs worse, thats where you know the leak is.

**tip**most likely a little vacuum hose has popped off underneath the throttle body. have a look

Last edited:

droptheworld1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Ecotec
My old vs did this. Turned out it was the ignition module. Worth a check anyway

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Check for fault codes first.
If none then it could be a fuel problem (filter, reg, pump etc etc)

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Sounds like it is not getting enough fuel. I would try changing the fuel filter first and if that doesnt fix it, get someone to check your fuel pressure to see if your fuel pump is weak. It could also be a major vacuum leak between the throttle body and air flow meter.

mfbrown89

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
similar problem on mine once, was a large vacuum hose on the underside of the throttle housing, had to make a new fitting as the other was stuffed.

Dirty hobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt00
A side question , so nothing to do with oil?!

Dirty hobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt00
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. buy a can of carby cleaner, and while the engine is running, spray it around the intake manifold, where the motor runs worse, thats where you know the leak is.

**tip**most likely a little vacuum hose has popped off underneath the throttle body. have a look
What would cause this problem please?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
^ A plastic hose that got old and cracked or snapped or worked it's way off it's fitting.

Have you checked for error codes? Did any warning lights appear on the dash ??