Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Blower Fan

filmur77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Commodore
HI,

i got a bit of a problem the interior fan is not working does anyone know what it could be?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Could be a blown fuse or relay or the fan resistor. If the fan works on high speed and not the other speeds then it's the resistor.

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
If the fan only works on high it will be the heater fan resistor located behind
the glove box and a couple of other trims. If the fan doesn't work at all then it will be the blower motor/fan itself.

ant142

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Acclaim
Hey Guys my interior fan died today. It doesn't work at all on any speeds. The aircon still works but not the fan. How would I go about fixing it and how much would it cost?
There isn't a fuse that I can check out?

Gravy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
if the "blower" fuse in the engine bay fuse box is still ok, and the blower relay in the incar fusebox is functioning (try swapping it with one of the others) then it may be a dirty contact switch inside the blower fan itself and can perhaps be cleaned and fixed yourself for free (no parts).

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/90561-fan-blower-repair.html

Just did mine today with same problem, havent fitted it back in yet though so not sure if the fix has worked for me.

Edit: Just connected it up for quick test and it works :) Yay.

Last edited:

Darkk_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged V6
ive got the same problem nothing works at all i pulled it all out and had the fan motor tested it works fine the resistors were tested and work fine to but still nothing, i even went and bought new relays and fuses and still nothing... Any one know what could be worng?

askrobbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt wagon
YAAAAAR! HELP!! Fan on full blast even when car turned off. Replaced relay, fuse, Resistor, car still in parts where I have replaced resistor under glove box. Still fan stays on full!!! Bought another resistor just incase first one I bought was faulty But no luck. Just plugged 2nd resistor in and fan still on full even with car turned off. Vt wagon Pulled out relays and fan still kept going on full
all sugestions welcome, If the fan is pumping out air quite obvious fan is ok.
Problem started day we had a 42 degree hot day in summer, next day went to start car and found out I had a flat battery due to fan staying on all night,

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Well it must be getting power from somewhere so it sounds like you will just have to trace the wiring, if you have pulled the fuse and it stays on you either pulled the wrong fuse or someone has had there hands in the car and changed the wiring which sounds like a strange thing to change.

it sounds like a relay somewhere is welded close or possibly the fan switch. I would just start unplugging one thing at a time and see when it stops.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
YAAAAAR! HELP!! Fan on full blast even when car turned off. Replaced relay, fuse, Resistor, car still in parts where I have replaced resistor under glove box. Still fan stays on full!!! Bought another resistor just incase first one I bought was faulty But no luck. Just plugged 2nd resistor in and fan still on full even with car turned off. Vt wagon Pulled out relays and fan still kept going on full
all sugestions welcome, If the fan is pumping out air quite obvious fan is ok.
Problem started day we had a 42 degree hot day in summer, next day went to start car and found out I had a flat battery due to fan staying on all night,

Check/change the blower relay.
The fan motor has a constant +12 volts running to it.
All the fan's speeds are negatively switched. 1,2 and 3 speeds through the resistors and the 4th speed through the blower relay.
If the relay is jammed closed, the fan will operated with the ignition on or off and there will be no control over it with the fan speed switch. Also, if the blower relay has jammed on, pulling the fuse will have no effect, as the fuse is before the relay and only protects the firing of it, not the switching of it to earth. If you get my drift.

askrobbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt wagon
Vt Fan resistor problem

Well it must be getting power from somewhere so it sounds like you will just have to trace the wiring, if you have pulled the fuse and it stays on you either pulled the wrong fuse or someone has had there hands in the car and changed the wiring which sounds like a strange thing to change.

it sounds like a relay somewhere is welded close or possibly the fan switch. I would just start unplugging one thing at a time and see when it stops.

No if I remove fuse it stops
But if I remove All relays fan keeps going
even when car is off
went and bought new relays today (2nd lot)
all original wiring
tried 2 new resistors
Think will have to just bite the bullet and get ripped off by auto electrican
Thanks for reply - will leave a reply ounce AE fixes car to what problem was to help others