Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT CALAIS Audio/Head Unit Help

n-n-nick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hey Guys.
Just recently got a 1998 VT Calais; V6 model. Completely stock.

Now im not complaining about the audio quality - infact quite the opposite - for a stock set of speakers they produce quite a good sound.

However the head unit - i have never witnessed anything so butt ugly in my life and want to get it out of my car as soon as possible.
So basically what my question is, is what head unit options do i have - i understand i have to have a double-dim head unit; so what's the best option for under 300 bucks? - because im not terribly keen on getting a dvd based option. So if i am to get a different head unit, will i able to use either the 10 cd stacker or the steering wheel mounted controls?

thanks, Nick.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Ahh you can easily mount a single DIN sized unit in the VTs, with the use of a "pocket" that clips into place below the head-unit. Granted it wont look as good as a double DIN unit, but for the money you'll be able to purchase a much higher quality unit with more features etc for the money.

I dont like your chances of keeping the stock 10 stacker with an aftermarket unit, but the steering wheel controls can be used via a steering wheel interface (CAT), available at most car audio retailers for anywhere in between $150-$300.

n-n-nick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
thanks guys.
definitely decided ill go for the single din option.
How much do you reckon this 'pocket' will set me back?
and any ideas for a decent yet cheap head unit?

ta, nick

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah they retail around the $15-$20 mark.

All depends on what you want out of a head-unit? for example: MP3 playback, ipod control, number of RCA preouts, price etc.

Pioneer and Kenwood make good entry level units in my opinion. You can pick up a no-bells-and-whistles version for around $100-$120, the MP3 versions are about $20-$40 dearer.

n-n-nick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
just got of a mate for a song; a cased sony xplod 12" 1200w sub and a Soundstorm F850M amp.
if i were to buy one of the 150ish head units would i still be able to hook the sub up?
and i do intend to buy a new set of front door speakers(depending on cash) so would the new 150 buck head unit be able to support the sub + new front door speakers or do i have to get a more expensive one?

p.s. just in case you havent noticed i'm a newbie to the whole car sound system deal, so the dumber the response the better :p

cheers, nick

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No worries mate, i'll be a simple as possible ;)

All aftermarket head units will support a subwoofer running off an amp and up to 4 speakers (2 front, 2 rear).

Have a look at my "planning a system on a budget" thread at the top of the page, obviously take out the subwoofer / amplifier part out of the equation. But have a good read and you'll get the idea ;)