Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais hands free kit removal HELP!!

VTCalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I just bought a '98 VT Calais and it had one of those hands free kits in it. It looked pretty ugly so I tried to remove it by cutting the 2 chords the device was attached to. I am guessing this was a bad move as now the sound quality of my stereo is terrible and it sounds heaps dimmer. Have I stuffed up my stereo or is there an easy way to fix this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I just bought a '98 VT Calais and it had one of those hands free kits in it. It looked pretty ugly so I tried to remove it by cutting the 2 chords the device was attached to. I am guessing this was a bad move as now the sound quality of my stereo is terrible and it sounds heaps dimmer. Have I stuffed up my stereo or is there an easy way to fix this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Is it a factory handsfree?
Most will be hooked into your speakers so everytime the phone rings it'll cut out the radio for the phone. Highly doubt you would've stuffed your radio, just trace the wires back to find the control box, mabye behind the glovebox.

topzone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY & VU & Triumph TR6
I believe the calais stereo system has amplified speakers and by cutting the wires you may well have shorted the system out.The best thing to do from here is to remove the glove box and the side panel on the rhs of the passenger foot well,you will see a loom poking out from there this is the communications loom,disonnnect the phone wiring insulate the cut ends and hope like hell it hasnt stuffed the stereo.

VTCalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I opened up the front passengers side panel to get to where wires lead to, and there is this little box with a few wires connected. Should I remove this? And how do I do this?
Thanks in advance

VTCalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
OH ##IT!! I think I've ####ed everything up now. I was trying to fix this stereo problem and I tried to remove the glovebox. And there's all those chords there. I must have moved something cos now my air con is wont work, stereo wont turn on and when I try and start the car it won't start up. Keyless entry won't lock car and now I can't lock it. I've really stuffed up now and I've only had the car for 2 days. HELP!!!

topzone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY & VU & Triumph TR6
From memory the communications loom has 6 wires 1 = orange battery power 2 = yellow/black stripe acc/ign power 3 = black earth 4 = yellow stereo mute 5 = two blue wires stereo speaker interface wires if you can see this loom (should be easy) cut each wire individualy and insulate with tape or the like hope this helps

topzone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY & VU & Triumph TR6
errrr sounds way more serious than a cellphone problem now ! get it too an auto electric shop

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
take it back and say **** has happened that was out of your control, patch it up they wont have taken pics of the mess u made

VTCalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Check your fuses, may have popped a couple!

False alarm, it was actually the battery that was dead and that's why everything else wasn't working. It was 4.5 years old apparently. But as for my stereo, it is still definitely stuffed, more than before. I think you're right about the fuses. So what do I have to buy to fix this? Do I have to buy a new amp or a new head unit?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited: