Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Changing Speaker System

AwaKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT With S Pack
Thanks

Ok great, thanks for all the help.

What i might do is get the h/u installed professionally, and get them to show me how to remove it again, so i can hook all the speaker wire up.

What sort of AMP does one recommend for the speakers then? And where in the car would i hide it?

I was thinking mabey to start off with just get 4 speakers and hook them straight to the h/u and just get an amp + sub too.

I dont need anything too fancy, just seems like its gonna cost about $1000 all up ( installed ) i'd like to bring that cost down as much as i can.. and do what i can on my own ( which will prob be not much :p )

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if u wanna save urself a **** load id give it ago urself its really not that hard and with these threads with a lil search and some help with the guys on here ud b able 2 do it sucesfully everythings really infont of u ay

AwaKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT With S Pack
Yeah, but im not a "car" person :p and i dont really want to mess things up and end up costing me more. I've seen the tuts for removing the h/u thats in atm.. and i dont see anything about taking out the dash, just that i should get some coathangers and bend them, and insert each one into the 4 little holes then it should just pull out.. :/

But even if i got it out.. would it be just a straight swapover? Im sure someone at WOW sight and sound said i'd need a little box thing (quoted me $15) to put underneath so the new h/u doesnt fall down

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
yer thats a single din pocket hes talkin bout hes right there and yes its pretty much a straight forward swap only thing u need 2 do is make sure u wired the right wires from the HU harness 2 the cars elec system eg. ACC, battery, ground ect then u just follow the chart u get with ur head unit 2 match up the front and rear lefts and right speakers but in ur case it will prolly b better 2 get 1 of those addapters that plugs into ur old harness and into ur new 1 and that plugs into ur HU no cuttin or soldering required then im pretty sure? then its just a matter of wiring up the speakers using the colour code.

2 find out how 2 pull appart ur dash look in the VT/VX threads they r all over the place in there i'll try find some 4 ya but u'll prolly beat me 2 it lol

AwaKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT With S Pack
OK great thanks :) think i'll just pay for the H/U to be installed, at least that way its getting professionally done. I'll see if they will let me watch them do it so i can learn for another time :)

i've found some cheap fusion splits for the front, just wondering what you guys think

http://www.ryda.com.au/Fusion-EN-CM65-6-Component-Car-Speakers-p/encm65.htm

I've always thought fusion was a good brand (saw a demo of them at crusty demons ;p) cant find if its a 2way/3way etc (not that i know what it means, just been told to get 3way)

or something like this
http://www.ryda.com.au/Clarion-SRS1726-6-Split-System-p/srs1726.htm

i've only got about $600 to spend (including instalation) as thats already took me entire sound system up to over a grand :(

and for back:

http://www.ryda.com.au/Fusion-EN-FR653-6-200W-3-Way-Car-Speakers-p/enfr653.htm

nice and cheap, there 3 way ;D

i'd work on a sub/amp later... still dont know where i'd put the amp? heh

http://www.ryda.com.au/category-s/81.htm

thats where im looking at, the prices seem pretty cheap there.

If someone could pull amp/sub/speakers from that site to recommend... trying to get cheap but ok quality :) that'd be great. I've got no clue, theres 300W amp.. which im guessing would be OK for a sub for $150 ( Fusion )

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride

AwaKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT With S Pack
Fusion EN-SW12ES 12" 400W Car Subwoofer $89.00
Aerpro SB12100 12" Sealed Sub Box $44.95
Fusion EN-FR653 6" 200W 3 Way Car Speakers $53.00
Fusion EN-CMST1 6" 3 Way Component Car Speakers $134.00
Fusion EN-AM3002 300W 2 Ch Car Amplifier $134.00
Total: $454.95

Hows that lookin?

http://www.ryda.com.au/Aerpro-Holden-Commodore-Vt-Vx-Wiring-Harness-p/ap1784h.htm

is that the adaptor people are talking about? so i dont have to mess with the wires?

Are there any cables i'd need to buy too? Or do they come with the speakers/amp ?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
not sure on the plug as ive never used 1 b4 but only other thing i can think of is that u would need a 2 channel amp wiring kit the aeropro do some kits that will suit ur system roughly bout $90 i think thats just so u can run power 2 ur amp and sub. seems like ur pretty much set then ;)

AwaKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT With S Pack
Well i just got my headunit installed and the stock speakers sound so much better!

Not sure if its even worth my while changing them, and just getting a sub.

Or mabey smeones already changed them previously and re-installed the old headunit =) who knows but im happy

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have a Kenwood Headunit in my VT, it seems ok. Dont really know much about it. Jut wondering Instead of spending lots of cash on Subs and Amps, could i just replace all the current speakers with better quality ones, and the 6x9's at the back for some Bass?

Would that work or am i loosing it....:bang: