Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Clarion Replacements

Kersh

Reaction score
Website
www.kersh.biz
Members Ride
VE SS Ute '08
I want to replace my Eurovox back door VT speakers with Clarion SRR1615
16 cm COAXIAL 2-WAY SPEAKERS 140W.
Will these speakers do the job?
My head unit is a Clarion DXZ656MP which has 4x53watt so I am presuming it will have enough power to drive them.
Mostly I want to know if they are the correct family of speaker (coax 2-way) and if the size is right (works out about 6.2 inches) and if its a simple plug and play installation.
Thanks

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
my first reply :)

Hey, this is my first reply to a post. WOOT!

I’d say they will be fine. I just pulled my front door skins off 2day in my VT to see if my new speakers (JBL splits) would fit. The total diameter of the outer metal part of the splits is 159mm. They fitted the front perfectly. I’d say the back will be the same. I’m sure someone will correct me if they aren’t.

You head unit should be able to power them. I’ve got a pioneer head 4x50W (22W rms) unit in my car running some JBL 6x9’s (100W rms, 300W peak) and it does a good job.

I don’t think it will be a simple plug and play install. The speakers in the front of my VT had a funny plug on them that wouldn’t fit every after market speaker I’ve seen (I’m no expert but). This means you will have to solder (yes, solder) the wires on or at the very least use some sort of crimp connection. I think there is a wiring diagram floating around this forum that will tell you which wire is positive and which is negative.

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
I just fitted those exact same Clarions to the other car and they work great. I run a 50w Pioneer deck and it does a pretty good job. They would perform even better if powered by an amp but the deck is just fine for now.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
The terminals on the original speakers should be marked (+) nad (-) Use the connectors that came with the pack although feel free to solder them for amore solid connection.

And yes, they will fit.

Co-ax are fine for the rear and Splits are great for the fronts. Have you upgraded the fronts yet? If not why not?

Kersh

Reaction score
Website
www.kersh.biz
Members Ride
VE SS Ute '08
Thanks for the fast replys.

I havn't done the splits yet, the backdoors seemed to be an easier and cheaper option to do first, though maybe the front 4 will make me happier? I dont know.

The speakers say they come with a GM & CHRYSLER adaptor but I dont know what that is. Soldering wont be a prob if needed I did a 2 year electro tech course.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
DO THE FRONT FIRST.

YOU are the driver and it's YOUR ears that have to be pleased first...Most of what you here is coming from the front speakers so I suggest you upgrade them first.