Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Clubsport engine mods

Monty VT CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 Clubsport
I own a factory 98 VT Clubsport 5 Ltr auto and am pulling the motor out to replace the frost plugs. At the same time I will be replacing the lifters with crower anti pump items (retainer plate is giving me trouble and one lifter is making noise). What I am wondering is, what is the best cam to fit in its place with the factory manifold? I am also thinking of replacing the rockers with Street Terra adjustables. Do these rocker arms fit under the factory rocker covers and are they a straight foward replacement?
The car has done 160k and has been dynoed at 203FWKw a couple of days ago on 91. Since then I have changed to 98 upon recomendation and cleaned the muck off the MAF sensor.

Any help would be appreciated!

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
Is it a runner or weekend only sort of car etc. How much you wana spend, Im half way with my rebuild and im at 3grand (short block thats still in bits), Just a cam and tune makes a good difference and woundent bother changing rockers.

Monty VT CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 Clubsport
Its just a weekend car so I dont mind losing out on economy. Im no expert when it comes to cams so I dont know what the best cam is for the job. I wont be doing a complete rebuild as it doesnt need anything other than the plugs and the lifters. So id be aiming to spend 3 grand max. I was asking about the rockers because I just thought it would be a good time to replace the older parts. Who's the best for tuning the 304 in Auckland?
Cheers for the advice!

Monty VT CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 Clubsport
I have just read the thread on selecting a cam shaft for a stock 304 under the v8 modification section. Very helpfull! after reading this I've decided to opt for a crow 4502 depending on avaliability in NZ. I wouldnt mind hearing from people who currently use this cam and their experience with driveability, performance etc. As I said before I'm not concerned about economy, who ever bought a v8 because it was light on gas.

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
get hold of this guy, Sean at easten auto 092742941, Ive seen his work and its good.

Monty VT CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 Clubsport
Thanks mate! I got the original dyno run from Eastern and I do not deny the quality of work, they were really helpfull gave me a bit of advice but they dont touch the 304's. They instead recommended torque performance. Torque gave me a quote for a mafless tune of $1300 inc. GST. Has anyone used these guys before? Any Testimonials?

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah my mate used them to do a 304 ute that I did a cam and headers etc on, came out pritty good.