Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Clubsport series 1 very bad tyre shudder... I hope

Mabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport Series 1
Had to put a new set of rears on a couple weeks ago, being a tight ass bought the cheapest i could. Since then, the car has a vibration through it at 55-60 klm which isnt too bad but at as soon as it hits 100klm holy #### it vibrates like a bitch. It shakes the mirrors and rattles the dash its that bad. I thought the tyres needed to be re balanced which Ive done and its a little better but not by much. It didnt do it before I put tyres on the back, and its really starting to piss me off. Any ideas on whats going on? Any help would be appreciated

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you answered your own question
lol
you were a tightarse and bought cheap tyres
take it back and get them to fit better tyres and pay the difference

Mabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport Series 1
Ive never heard of tyres causing shake, noise yes but not shake. New tyres it is then. Thanks

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Put them on the front and go for a drive, if the shake is there in the steering wheel then it would be the tyres. Not necessarily a **** tyre though, just the way they are fitted. Break the beads and spin the tyre 180 degrees on the rim and then inflate to at least 60 psi to seat the beads properly, then completely deflate before inflating again to the correct pressure.

on_d_tox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS spac S2
Had to put a new set of rears on a couple weeks ago, being a tight ass bought the cheapest i could. Since then, the car has a vibration through it at 55-60 klm which isnt too bad but at as soon as it hits 100klm holy #### it vibrates like a bitch. It shakes the mirrors and rattles the dash its that bad. I thought the tyres needed to be re balanced which Ive done and its a little better but not by much. It didnt do it before I put tyres on the back, and its really starting to piss me off. Any ideas on whats going on? Any help would be appreciated

they may not have lined the coloured dot on the tyre with the valve on the rim or may have only static balanced the wheels ( which means that they would have only put stick on weights on the back side of the rim) as an ex tyre fitter i know that these 2 things if not done properly can cause annoying vibrations

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Rule of thumb: Vibration under 80kph - problem in the front. Vibration over 80kph - problem in the rear. Sounds like your new (cheap) tyres are the problem.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
this may sound crazy but i've seen it before as you described, water may have entered the tyres from the airline

there was about a cup of water in each tyre

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Iv had this before with new tyres, a part of the tread had delaminated and had a bulge

Take the tyres off and check for a bulge in one of them

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
they may not have lined the coloured dot on the tyre with the valve on the rim or may have only static balanced the wheels ( which means that they would have only put stick on weights on the back side of the rim) as an ex tyre fitter i know that these 2 things if not done properly can cause annoying vibrations

Just checked my tyres. Only one of the four has the dot anywhere near the valve stem!
Fitted by a tyre service centre too.