Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore broke down

zaz96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I was driving to Yass from Canberra to pickup something with a trailer. On the way I heard a ticking sound that I though was coming from the trailer, but it turns out it was coming from under the bonnet.

So I kept driving along and after driving for 50km/s the engine lost power and shut off. I pulled the car over to the side of the highway and there was a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust manifolds, pod filter, and the thermostat area.

After allowing the engine to cool down for 30 minutes I attempted to start it, I could hear the battery trying to start the engine with a lot a effort, (1 turn/ 3 seconds). I had the car towed home.

So what could be the problem?

EDIT: The engine oil appears to be fine.

Maxseverity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
open manifold and check for blockages?

zaz96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I would think the ticking sound could be lack of oil coating the engine so possibly oil pump or blockage. Are there any warning lights on?

Smart idea to get it towed.

Well the engine was overheating before and when it broke down. I thought it was just a faulty thermostat that I was going to have replaced soon, as the engine temperature would rise from normal to hot then to normal in a space of about 20 seconds.

I did pull over about 20km into the trip as the overheating lights came on, stopped for 5 minutes and continued on.

So I think the engine has actually been overheating as the oil isn't in the best condition.

zaz96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I forgot to ask, does anyone have a download link to the VT Commodore Service manual? CD or PDF

Sorry for the double post.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Thats why the 'General' puts warning lights and gauges in front of the driver. We used to call the warning lights "idiot lights" once upon a time. What are they referred to these days........still the same?

zaz96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
What can i do to get my engine running again?