Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] VT Commodore does not Rev Up,

gokhan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hi Guys,

I have a VT Commodore dual/fuel my engine just 2 weeks ago replaced due to major engine problems with a second hand 80K engine. Today I had a backfire on the road while driving I thought it was normal because on gas, and then I had the second one eventually car stalled and I could not run the car on gas anymore it just does not start on gas but on petrol it starts and runs fine but when you press gas pedal it just does not rev up. I just pull down the throttle body wire all the way down but it sluggish it just hasn't got any power.

I was checking the website does this could be related to TPS or IAC sensor might be damaged somehow?

Or some sort of an air leak or vacuum leak?

Any ideas more than welcome...

Regards,

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Normally a backfire on gas will blow the aircleaner housing to bits. It could have blown a hose off between the air flow meter and throttle body causing a vacuum leak and it could have destroyed your air flow meter.

gokhan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Normally a backfire on gas will blow the aircleaner housing to bits. It could have blown a hose off between the air flow meter and throttle body causing a vacuum leak and it could have destroyed your air flow meter.

Well, This is what I saw when I opened the bonnet my air filter box the bottom part holder section was broken from the holder section the top cover was ok but the bottom corner was broken so there is a small hole in the bottom section holder.

I check the Throttle body for any loose hose or something but I couldnt see it, just one hose was back of the engine was loose and that was for vacuum hose for inside fan hose. if air flow meter destroyed how can I test to see if that is exactly the faulty part also how much could be this part any idea I am guessing it has to be replaced since it can't be fixed.

Thanks again mate,

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Vaccum purge line will have blown off most likely for one. This is a hose connected to the bottom of the throttle body, goes under the runners to the back left hand corner of the motor, can't miss it, most likely blown off at one end, again most likely the TB end.

if it was a bad backfire (i.e. you putting your foot down and it goes 'BANG') then you will have blown your MAF (Mass Airflow Meter) - not the mesh, the electrical components in the bottom of it, and if it's stalling and not running on gas, then your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) will most likely have gone too.

Fix them up first, if that doesn't fix the problem, take it to a LPG place, because LPG is a bitch to get working, particularly if your not experienced/knowledgable for the very 'high maintenance, volatile' fuel.

gokhan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Vaccum purge line will have blown off most likely for one. This is a hose connected to the bottom of the throttle body, goes under the runners to the back left hand corner of the motor, can't miss it, most likely blown off at one end, again most likely the TB end.

if it was a bad backfire (i.e. you putting your foot down and it goes 'BANG') then you will have blown your MAF (Mass Airflow Meter) - not the mesh, the electrical components in the bottom of it, and if it's stalling and not running on gas, then your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) will most likely have gone too.

Fix them up first, if that doesn't fix the problem, take it to a LPG place, because LPG is a bitch to get working, particularly if your not experienced/knowledgable for the very 'high maintenance, volatile' fuel.

Ok,

Here is what we have done this morning, I brought my Dad's car which is the same series, series II VT, I have removed all the sensors and replaced with mine same the LPG does not work at all on petrol the engine runs fine but gas pedal all the way down but rpm does not go more than 1200 rpm at all. so the engine power sluggish. I have resetted the computer by removing the positive terminal for 20 seconds and same issue was happening.

On gas the engine does not start at all it sort of there is so much gas coming and it stalls straight away.

What else I can do I don't know....

Regards,

Shady1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hi Gokan,

Hopefully you can help me as my car is doing exactly the same thing as yours...
I've changed coil packs, leads and everything i could think of...
Now thinking it could be the throttle control sensor.....
How did you get yours fixed?