Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore or EL Fairmont?

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
Gday all,

Looking to buy another car for work but having a bit of a hard time deciding. I have found these 2 cars:

1997 VT Commodore wagon Exec
160,000kms
Green/Blue colour
Full history
Maybe 70% tyres (RE92's)
Interior a bit of wear and tear but exterior immaculate
A/C cool not cold
Dark tint

$4,100

1997 EL Fairmont wagon
201,000kms
Navy blue
Part service history
90% tyres (Michelin energy xm1)
Interior immaculate, but few scratches and stone chips on bonnets
A/c would freeze ur tits off
On gas
Redback 2.5 inch mandrel bend exhaust

$3800

Both cars appear to be mechanically sound no leaks etc. Gearboxs are comparable I guess. They both drive pretty well.

I am neither a Ford or Holden man, but I do like the look of Commo wagon better! But ill be doing a s'load of towing!

Which would you guys choose? Have any of you moved from both sides of Ford or Holden camp?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
KM's first would make me suggest the VT, Pretty low for it's age. With full serves history you can't go wrong.
Plenty of room inside very comfy and a popular car with plenty of upgrades, handle good for a wagon has sedans IRS.

On the Ford side, Towing would be best, More power and torque, Gas is a bonus but they do loose some go with gas, KM's aren't that bad.
Big inside but for such a large car they have always to me felt like they shove you into the doors, Leaf spring rear set for heavy duty not ride quality.

I'd be a bit 60/40 towards the VT, More because i have one:D, But they can tow it might just depend what you are towing that might seal the deal.

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
Well I do a ****load of towing, im a tradie and drive from GC to Brisbane daily. Its a big box trailer. Ford would be best for towing no doubt and cheaper to run. But Commodore wins looks contest hands down, and thats the prob! Its funny rear seat is more comfortable in Ford but front in Commodore seem better.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
You could gas it, But then that will cost you more, But it might last longer?, And as you said be more comfortable driving it..

But if it's a very heavy load:eek:.. Though i was just behind a VY Exec towing a very large boat, Took me to pass it to notice it was a Commodore, The boat almost took 10% of the right lane with it.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
No contest,Ford ofcourse.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I have both a VT and a EF Ghia (similar to this monty)

With no mods the falcon wins, sorry everyone but it is true. 200K is nothing on the straight six in will tow heaps better than a v6.

They do drive quite well as the EL has the rear suspension sorted far better then the EF. For looks, lower and a nice set of wheels, all done.

Parts are cheap and with the falcon on gas already, go for it

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Go the Ford,cheap to run,will tow what you want and because its a Fairmont it will have climate control,cruise,4x pwr windows too.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
comming from expirance, the ef/el fall apart, the window regulators/mechinisms bend or break, climate control screw up, ecu's blow etc even with the basic cleaning, you might have a great engine but you need a body for it to move imo. vt quality is far superior to the el/f.

i also dont get where people say the wagon fords are better cause there leaf sprung, yes leafs are good in weight situations if its set-up for that - the falcon is not, it only has like 2 or 3 leafs that are relatively thin compared to a commercial vehicle with 4-5-6 leafs. every ford wagon i see sag in the arse croic when towing a medium to large load. yes tyres will wear better when towing on one, my irs wagon dosnt sag as much as ive seen falcon wagon with similar loads.

If you have poly-air bags fitted inside the springs which dosnt cost to much and you can eliminate sag on the commo. you cant fit bags to a falcon you will need to add extra leafs which make the ride alot harder when not towing

just a few things to consider

vsquest

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
go the commodore

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I have not had half the issues mentioned with my mont.

vt quality is far superior to the el/f.

um, yeah right, bout the same from my experience.