Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore rear sway bar.

My99VTACCLAIM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore Acclaim
Are they standard on a VT when I got my car from my parents I refused to get it serviced at the dealership and when I took it to my mechanic he was doing a suspension check and found that the dealership had removed the rear sway bar. Is it standard without one?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
They all came with one to my knowledge either the mechanic you took it to is dodgy and after money or someone took it out but your parents would have noticed that it was gone.
But you say he found out that the dealership took it out? what does that mean?

My99VTACCLAIM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore Acclaim
The dealership did its previous services up til 200 000km the mechanic is reliable I know he isn't trying to rip me off. The dealership in question is known to be quite dodgy and is why I stopped taking it to them. For all we know the sway bar could not have been there for a long time. My mechanic showed me where the sway bar should be and it isn't there. If he had removed it I would have felt the difference in the car.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I never said he removed it.

I can't imagine how the car would feel without no rear sway bar it must roll around like all hell.

In order to take it out you to drop the diff down a little to get it in and out and there not the most pleasant job to do. So if it was taken out it was for something to do with the rear end needing something done to it. maybe ask your parents?.

VT's came with them as standard I'm sure of it. there's your answer.

Has he quoted a price to replace it cause you should be able to pick up a used one to put in. Even a used swaybar with worn bushes will be an upgrade.

Can't wait to hear your results though you'll be amazed at the difference.

My99VTACCLAIM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore Acclaim
He's quoted $197 for a standard rear sway bar new or $204 for a pedders heavy duty. Tough choice hmmm haha.