Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt engine won't crank - clunk sound

Omega6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Omega
Hi I have replaced the starter on my vt after the old starter was not turning just making a clunk noise & throwing sparks at the connections when trying to start, now the new starter is on it just makes a clunk noise, I've tried a new battery but no success. Any help greatly appreciated

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If the new starter is second hand don't rule out it being cactus too. Possibly try testing it (and the other too) out of the car.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
have you tried changing starter relay , is the fly wheel seized , try rocking the car back and forward . is the battery charged just because its new don't mean its charged , its sits on a shelf .

Omega6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Omega
Yeah I've got a few batteries and tried jumping it. The 1st starter was throwing sparks at the connections. I've tried tapping and changed starter relay. Still just 1click when I try to crank....

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
what's your cables like running to the starter , could be a voltage drop. was the starter new .

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Did u plug the spade connector back on the solenoid? Check your earths quite often a cause.

Omega6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Omega
Yep both connections are tight on the starter, replaced eng management fuse and now the starter just clicks consistently, I'm waiting on the mrs to get home to give me a jump, fingers crossed it's that near dead battery clicking.

Omega6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Omega
Also, I tried turning the engine over by hand but only had a short spanner as I couldn't find the right socket, so it wouldn't budge clockwise or anti, how easy is it to turn by hand ? And yep, the serp belts off :)
Cheers

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
Also, I tried turning the engine over by hand but only had a short spanner as I couldn't find the right socket, so it wouldn't budge clockwise or anti, how easy is it to turn by hand ? And yep, the serp belts off :)
Cheers

did you remove the plugs too . Is the car Auto or Manual , sounds to me something seizing the fly wheel , put it in gear and give it a good rock , see if that frees it up.