Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT - fuel gauge

Dale82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais supercharged
hey guys
i got a vt super6 and fuel gauge has never worked since i got the car, it goes from full to half to near empty it is very random when i start the car in the morning or after work was hoping some one has had this problem before or know of it and know what i need to fix it as i ran out of fuel the other day right out side work which didn't make me happy coz it was pissing down rain and i had a slab in the fridge waiting for me :p anyways any help would be great thanks guys.

Dale

Alemadness

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT 3.8 (Omega CD) 2000
I Have the same problem!
Seems that the problem is the fuel tank sensor, i tried to fix, but the problem still. so, i have to buy a new one, but here in my country is very dificult to find a new sensor.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
have you got like another cluster you can put in your car to test if its your cluster thats broken.

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
It will be the sender in the tank there dodgy s#itt. I replaced my one about 5years ago and its doing it again now.
You'd think by now they can make a sender that will work longer then the car.

If they were cheap to replace it wouldn't be so bad but every few years $150+ just for parts it a joke.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
hahaha ac delco sender card through holden parts is coming soon i heard to drop the price...

anyway sender comes off the mra unti and floats around telling you what ever it feels like.....
sometimes you just got to clip it back in.....

to test the sender card

multimeter and mra/sender card out of tank

unplug sender
attach multimeter and set too ohms setting
put leads onto 2 wires coming from sender
very slowly move the ARM coming off the sender through its full movement

the ohm meter should not say OL or open circuit at any point....

a visual check too is useful sometimes the little tangs that the sender arm touches to tell your ecm the level get broken off (circuit board side where wires attach) if there broken this will cause the fault too....

oh and fyi they are designed to last lifetime of the car (10 years lol)
so if yours is failing early all the time likiely you have **** fuel or **** in your tank that is getting between the sender arm and board causing it to wear out quicker, would flush your tank while your there.... and check the terminals ontop of the mra fuel unit too people they get burnt sometimes and the higher resistance shortens the life of the parts including fuel pump and ipc...

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
so if yours is failing early all the time likiely you have **** fuel or **** in your tank that is getting between the sender arm and board causing it to wear out quicker, would flush your tank while your there.... and check the terminals ontop of the mra fuel unit too people they get burnt sometimes and the higher resistance shortens the life of the parts including fuel pump and ipc...

No its because there made s#it I would be very surprised if they all come from china,
I have had all sorts of cars and I have never had senders **** them self's on any of them. the closest I had was a float come off my valiant ult's sender popped it back on and it was as good as new.

Dale82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais supercharged
awesome thanks guys will have to try this over the weekend.

Alemadness

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT 3.8 (Omega CD) 2000
I need this part...
270582417.jpg

But here is very, very dificult to find!

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Ebay you should get a new one, or is there any Pontiac dealerships over there?