Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Heavy Power Steering

D

devilly

Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked all the lines are done up tight.

The fluid does go around in the fluid reservoir, and it was a reconditioned pump.

Might have another crack at it now.

Is it normal also for the fluid level to drop once the car is started? It drops about 2-3cm in the bottle once I start the car, and it will then return to its original height once i turn the car off.

this to me doesn't sound right,if you have it filled to the cold line and start car then turn off it should be at the same level.when the cars going and the fluid gets hot to the touch it should rise up a bit.

something more going on with it by the sounds, did it do this before the change over may have a faulty change over

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
Yeh after I had a crack at it again last night the level is remaining constant.

When you have the car on the jack stands and turn the wheel from lock to lock with the car running, do you have the cap on or off of the powersteering reservoir? The manual does not specifically if you leave it on or off.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Leave it on, once trapped air forces out, it sprays fluid everywhere, I learnt that Saturday lol

D

devilly

cap off is the way it's done to get the air out,checked 3 books and they don't say so, i rang 2 company's and they both said cap off :)

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
cap off is the way it's done to get the air out,checked 3 books and they don't say so, i rang 2 company's and they both said cap off :)

Ok so an update guys. Today after many attempts at beeding air out if the system I figured that couldn't be the problem.

So I went down the Upullit and got the best looking powersteering pump I could find out of a VY.

Installed the pump about 2 hours ago, bled the system only once and now the steering is as light as a feather.

Looks like I got a dodgy Reconditioned Pump from Ebay. Last time I buy something for my car from there.

Just glad its fixed now, appreciate all the help guys.

D

devilly

Leave it on, once trapped air forces out, it sprays fluid everywhere, I learnt that Saturday lol

as soon as you put the fluid to cold line you do a quick start and stop and refill it.i had do this 3 times before it stopped blowing up in the air like a whales blow hole :) which got rid of all the air locks in it :)

D

devilly

Ok so an update guys. Today after many attempts at beeding air out if the system I figured that couldn't be the problem.

So I went down the Upullit and got the best looking powersteering pump I could find out of a VY.

Installed the pump about 2 hours ago, bled the system only once and now the steering is as light as a feather.

Looks like I got a dodgy Reconditioned Pump from Ebay. Last time I buy something for my car from there.

Just glad its fixed now, appreciate all the help guys.

well done :)