Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT ignition barrel replacement

techmen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX custom SW in progress
If the steering lock is on you might have to release the pressure on it before you can turn the key. Even though you won't be able to turn the steering wheel you can still turn it enough to take the pressure off the steering lock.
If that is not your problem then persistence in turning the key sometimes works. If all that fails you might need to call a locksmith because it is very difficult to remove the barrel if you can't turn the key.

Apologies for adding on so longer after post,just came upon it.
check to see if the lock barrel is protruding by a couple of mm.
If so use a slim strip of metal(I use the long strip that comes from either side of some wiper blades),slide the strip in between the barrel and the housing while pushing on the end of the barrel where the key would go,as you insert the strip approx 10mm slide it clockwise a little and the lock should disengage,the barrel should click inwards to flush with housing.
Hold it in this position and slip the key in,it should now turn.
Note:if you remove the key it will lock again,just repeat the process.

Often the car will now be able to start if it was just the lock jamming,helps you get it off the street and home to do the work.
Hope this helps all with this lock dilemma.

oops nearly forgot...first remove the plastic ring with the enable loop that is on the front of the ignition,so that you can see and do the above.
....now the barrel can be removed by pushing a small pin type object into top of housing to release it while the key is in the on position.
Don't forget you will need to hold the enable housing next to the key to start the engine if you can now turn the ignition to start.

Last edited:

jelmervonk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Acclaim VT
Let me start off by saying, I know nothing about cars and have recently purchased a 2000 commodore wagon VT. About a week ago my ignition barrel went completely kaput and I'm looking to buy a new one. I'm wondering how easy it is to replace it myself. I've spoken to a few guys and they say it should be a fairly easy fix. I would like to give it a go. Could someone please give me a detailed explanation for how to take out my old one and put in the new one?
And what do I exactly have to do with the key? Can I program that myself or can a locksmith easily do it?
Thank you very much.

gmh lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl manual
If anyone cant turn key put a big screwdriver and attach vice grips or stilsons at right angles to handle and twist hard, pin will snap and barrel comes out

GASSD6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
If anyone cant turn key put a big screwdriver and attach vice grips or stilsons at right angles to handle and twist hard, pin will snap and barrel comes out

I know this is old mate, iv snapped the front part out with screwdriver but still can not remove inner part of the barrel. Any ideas ??

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
a lot of the time the metal ball on the key gets squashed on the key and your ignition wont turn unless the two points of metal both the ring on the barrel and the metal ball style knob on the key, so for others incase they are about to replace a barrel in this case its worth checking if the keys metal tip is touching the barrel when turned.

speedyssv308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8 BT1/VP V6 BT1/VT Berlina V6/VT Exec V6
Old thread I know but in answer to comment 4 make sure your steering lock is on, this will clear the barrel mount so the new barrel will lock in place easily. Decided to add this for anyone else who may have problems in the future. I would hope a 2011 problem has been solved by now :)

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
Hi, so just to confirm, does the steering lock need to be locked or unlocked when fitting the new barrel? I’ve read and watched videos that say both. Having a little trouble fitting the new barrel and don’t particularly want to lock the steering and then it won’t unlock etc. any help would be great. Cheers

Holdenmadd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS ute v6 auto
Should anybody find that the shaft at the end of the barrel has snapped off...the easiest and most effective way to remove it I found is to pull the switch apart at the rear of the barrel enclosure..just under the wiper stalk.
Its not a terribly difficult job if you have some patience and a little TLC. It comes apart quite easily with just a jewellers screwdriver. Be careful not to lose the two springs that appear behind the metal contact plate. They
simply pull off to reveal a beige plastic plate. Its inside this plastic plate where the barrel shaft snaps off!! Carefully remove it from the black switch barrel, being carefull not lose the the spring loaded contact ball on the lower part of the plate. Once you have it out you will be able to easily pry out the broken part of the key barrel. Its barely a 4 step process to disassemble and the same to reassemble!! Trying to pry the broken part out from
the key end is an almost impossible and frustrating task!! Frustration can lead to damage!! Because the barrel shaft sits inside that plastic plate.... you can do damage to the tiny housing if your not careful and then your up for a new s switch aswell. Im happy to run people through the process via email or this thread if they get stuck!! Im no motor mechanic and I got the job for under $95.00 and in less than 20 minutes!!...without having to take it to a dealer.
Hi mlinton, I've been reading through your post and have the barrel out and found the end has broken off in the switch. I'm stuck with removing the switch, unlike the earlier vs models that have the two grub screws to remove the switch. I have located the grub screw hole but it doesn't appear to have a screw inside, can you tell me if its a flat screw head or star?