Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] VT ignition switch

mattyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT
I know this is a pretty common issue with the VT and ive done alot of searching on it, but one thing i cant find is the method to replace the ignition switch.

Basically, my key doesnt spring back from when you crank the engine over and when left, the start motor grinds. So im manually turning the key back. Ive read that it is the ignition switch and have been told by a few locksmiths/auto elecs the same thing also.

What im looking for is the easiet way to remove and replace. Do i need to remove the whole barrel, or is it as simple as removing the housing and then unscrewing a couple of screws and switching it over like on a VS i believe and like a 10min job?

Ive been quoted $55 for the switch and $99/hr labour in Morley.

Thanks

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
should be able to just remove the electrical switch on the back of the barrel, i think it is just 1 or 2 screws. then just buy a new switch and re-fit it

mattyvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT
Anyone able to give me more of an insight to this. Went to do it the other day and had no luck whatsoever.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You should get yourself a workshop manual like a gregorys or max ellery etc, as these manuals show how to do most of this stuff. All you need to do is remove the covers from around the column and then remove the electrical connector from the rear of the ignition switch. Theres 2 very small screws either side of the ignition switch that hold it onto the metal barrel, just remove these 2 screws and the switch will just pull away from the barrel. Just reverse the steps to fit the new switch.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Also when you reassemble it , make sure that the wire hasn't come undone when replacing the assembly