Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Steering Lock failure

ThatOldBlokeDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec V6
Hello All, my VT (coming up on 380,000 km) had an issue with the ignition - so I replaced the barrel. New barrel would not revolve... so I removed the ignition switch. The new barrel would still not turn, so I attempted to access the steering lock mechanism from underneath. I used a flathead screwdriver to remove the small plate that is pressed in. A few pieces of tiny shrapnel fell out, but the barrel would still not turn. The natural next step to go percussive on the MF until something happens, so gave the housing a few light taps...still nothing. Next step, a light tap with a hammer on the barrel and apply a little twisting force with some multis. I may be 60, but my forearms have retained significant strength from severe self-abuse in my teens, and the barrel and key revolved enough to allow the little magic button to be depressed via allen key and the barrel popped out nicely, whereupon some steering lock debri immediately fell out of the housing.

When I put a new ignition barrel and ignition switch in place, (as per the recommended method to do so), will the absence of the steering lock mechanism prevent the car from starting?

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
will the absence of the steering lock mechanism prevent the car from starting?
No.

Try moving the ignition ring sleightly. The ignition ring sits around the ignition barrel.

I've had the same problem when reassembled. Tried moving the ring & all good.

ThatOldBlokeDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec V6
No.

Try moving the ignition ring sleightly. The ignition ring sits around the ignition barrel.

Thanks Lex - I tried turning the ring around the barrel, but it would not budge. I think debri (possibly from the old ignition barrel and the steering lock) was jamming things up. I have another new barrel on order and will post what the outcome is when it is all back together. I'm sure that with debri gone and new parts, I will be able to be far more gentle. Until then, I will have to suffer driving the the spare car, a 2010 Golf, so I will have to remember to not indicate and cut people off at every opportunity.
I am hoping the only issue with the steering lock gone is better handling due to the weight saving...;)

ThatOldBlokeDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec V6
No.

You were correct - the absence of the steering lock mechanism does not interfere with the ignition barrel or switch, and the car starts and drives as per normal.

Some of the little shower of debri that came out of the steering lock mechanism "service point" (little metal cover on the bottom of the housing) came from the original ignition barrel that self-dismantled after 26 years of service.