Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT II S: Clutch Master Cylinder replacement... and diff whine

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
G'day all

I just bought myself a '99 VT II S pack, but managed to miss the leaking clutch fluid coming into the footwell. The car suffers from a bit of diff whine, the engine takes a while to start up and apart from a few scratches to touch up, it's a great car.
I've got a bit under a month before I get my licence, so there my time frame to get the car going good.

First to the most important, the Clutch Master Cylinder.
Fluid is leaking through a small hole in the outer rubber collar/seal, so I'm guessing a seal inside the part is gone somewhere or something. I've been advised that getting it repaired is most likely pointless as replacement would be the best option. I have been quoted around $200 for a new one, would getting a used one from somewhere else, (this is where I need the help), be a better option?

The diff whines, would I be right in saying that this being a manual, is something likely to occur? I will be adding to/upgrading the oil in the diff as well as putting in an additive for gearboxes and rear axles to stop the noise as much as it can. If this doesn't work that well, would getting a used diff be a reasonable option? If so, where from (in Melb) and for about how much?

The engine takes a while to start up which i have been advised could be something to do with the pressure regulator in the injector rail. Haven't tested whether or not it does this on startup when warm. Any ideas on what it could be from that brief info??

Finally the paint job has a few chips and that around the body, nothing to major, all quite fixable with touch up paint and a good wax should make it come up nicely...right? Colour is Impulse Mica - thin paint. Would that be an adequate approach, or would forking out (how much?) dollars for a professional detail be a better option?

Any good advice would be great, sorry if this doesn't make much sense here and there, I'm tired.
Cheers.

WK Woody

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 WK Caprice + VK berlina
If you're planning on keeping the car long term you should def put a new master cylinder in. Wreckers will prob charge you $100 anyway and its a simple job to change it. My car done 250000km before I had to change mine so you won't have to worry about for a while.:thumbsup: Also is your diff LSD or open wheeler?

dzire

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E3 R8 'Black Edition'
For the clutch cylinder you can get repair kits for them which come with the o-rings and certain seals, just depends on how long you're keeping the car i suppose.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
My diff is an 'open wheeler'.
I have been referred to a place that repairs clutch master cylinders and makes them better I hear (bores them out or something). I should get mates rates through the person who told me. Will probably head down there later next week.
Keep the suggestions coming, they are very helpful!