Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT II Starting problems

Griz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
Hi Guys,

I had an issue a few weeks ago when my VTII would not start. I drove it about 20 km's, parked it at the shops and came back about 2.5 hours later and it would not start. Brand new battery had just been put in and it would crank over fine, but not kick. I left it overnight and went back next day and after a few tries, it finally started. I took it to auto elec but he could find no fault or problem.

Car was running ok till today. Seemed to start ok but really rough idle and even under acceleration it struggled. Parked it at shops, came back 10 mins later and would not start again with same symptoms as above. Called NRMA, he checked fuel pump but said he could hear it ok, tested spark and said it was not getting much, re-tightened DFI and it reluctantly kicked over at that point and is still idling roughly with no real power under acceleration and seems to have a miss in it. If I don't keep my foot on accelerator, it wants to stall. Any ideas as this is driving me nuts.

Last edited:

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
6 or 8. If 6 possible coil module?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
nearly always crank angle sensor or DFI module
is spark the same on all leads
more info needed on the car
is it serviced regularly and properly using quality parts
have you fitted pod filter? etc

Griz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
Thanks for the input guys. Funnily enough you are both right.

Had no spark on 2 & 5 so NRMA suspected faulty coil, replaced and car went fine for a day then wouldn't start again. NRMA checked it over and had no spark at all. Unplugged at checked connector on dfi and blew some compressed air into it and it started first go. Had no fault come up though. Looks like it may be the dfi after all and I will try to hunt a cheap one down and see how i go.

Cheers.