Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT L67 problem.

Reed93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67
Okay I'll try to explain it the best I can.
The car idle sounds as if the revs are going up and then dropping, happens every 2-3 seconds but the revs don't seem to move on the dash. It doesn't do it when you first start the car, happens a minute or two later.
When driving normal it sounds fine, then when I plant my foot it sounds horrible, splutters off its head as if it's missing. The leads and plugs have just been changed. I'm near positive they aren't the problem.
What else could be causing this ? It doesn't seem to be doing it all the time but 90% of the time it is. It sounds putrid and is quite embarrassing.
Been told a few things.
Coil pack
Coil pack module underneath.
Maf sensor
Vacuum hose.

not sure if it helps but the car has and aftermarket exhaust, pod filter, 10psi pulley. Only started happening recently though
Any ideas ? Thanks in advance!

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
so this is a supercharger - 10 psi pully is good
it needs propper tuning i thought
got a scanner ? dont think a paper clip thingy diagnosis does the job on a supercharger

all this stuff is expensive to replace just on a guess

Coil pack
Coil pack module underneath. (DFI)
Maf sensor
Vacuum hose.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Sounds like a vacuum leak. have you checked all your vacuum hoses? Specially the hose going to the purge control valve. Holden says this hose should be glued on at both ends and specify what glue to use.

Reed93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67
So I had the car for 24 hours and it's now in the mechanics.
Was on my way to Ballarat on the freeway going 90. I put my foot down (not going to lie) the charger kicked in. Heard a crunch and then a pop.
The car was like it was running on 4-5 cylinders after that. Its Chugging and the engine is shaking off its head. Chewing through fuel on the way home. Averaging 30l/100km where as before this happened it was around 12l/100km.
Mechanic thinks it could be pushrods or anything. Hoping maybe it's a snapped rocker but also been told by a mate that his car done the same sort of thing and it was the intake manifold gasket ?
The car was struggling on the way back even with the charger kicked in it would only just get above 3k in the revs (but but she made it, had no other choice but to drive it back)

Will find out today what it is as they are doing a compression test but any ideas what it could be ?

Reed93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67
Found out it dropped two pistons, second hand engine installed for $2500 170,000kms, new charger gaskets, changing the 10 pound pulley to the stock 6 as he seems to think it had to much boost without having a strengthened bottom end. And replacing the pod filter with the stock air box. Get the car back Thursday -.-

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
just a tired engine . nice low km engine -lucky find there - should be good for a few years

Reed93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67
Would it be fine to keep the 10 pound pulley on it with no mods? Or am I better off putting it back to 6?

danbates

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 vx supercharged v6
Hey people, hope someone can help. on startup my vx supercharged makes a whiring sound like a stuffed bearing but dissapears when engine heats up. only happens every now and then but more so when its close to service time.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Don't forget the often over-looked fuel filter..

Reed93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67
My l67 had just had a new fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, plugs, leads and the rest.
The mechanic showed me the spark plugs where the pistons had shot right up and smashed them. The big job begins tomorrow! I'm hoping it's done by Wednesday, he said the end of the week though so probably Thursday -Friday latest.