Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt manual Gearbox bearing/clutch noise??

jacob112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
Little problem with my vt v6 manual It has a weird noise Coming from the gearbox/clutch area sounds like a bearing maybe it goes in motion with the motor sort of a clacking noise it seems to only get loud when the cars hot been driving for a while the noise does go when the clutch is pushed in or if you push up against a gear(as if you were gonna put it in gear with no clutch) the noise goes, Any ideas?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
yep- throw out bearing ..out of grease..replace ... means drop box out

front gearbox bearing - would make a different noise

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Clutch release bearing or if your lucky , if not (which I'm inclined to think you aren't) input shaft bearing....

jacob112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
Clutch release bearing or if your lucky , if not (which I'm inclined to think you aren't) input shaft bearing....

Well why do you think it is the input shaft bearing? i might just replace both.

jacob112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
I also heard that a clatty/chatter noise when car is at operating temp(hot) with the clutch out in neutral with getrag gearboxes is normal??

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I also heard that a clatty/chatter noise when car is at operating temp(hot) with the clutch out in neutral with getrag gearboxes is normal??

A small amount of clutch chatter with a single mass flywheel yes is normal, but an abnormal noise your experiencing is not, if it is the input shaft bearing youd have to get the box reco'd the input shaft bearing isn't easy accessed, you need to split the box in half ( so diff shop job) doesn't matter what your problem is its box out time, then you'll know... At the least you'll have to replace clutch disc, pressure plate, re machine or new flywheel, new spigot , and new throw out bearing ....

So knowing that that only leaves one other possibility the box is rooted.... So gear up to replace all that (which you would in a normal clutch change anyway) and worst case scenario you find it's the box and get a reco one :)

If your curious pop the inspection cover off and have a looksey look for anything abnormal

My advice is dont fix it unless its broken, if it dives fine but is a little noisey deal withit until u have the funds to fix it properly

jacob112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
A small amount of clutch chatter with a single mass flywheel yes is normal, but an abnormal noise your experiencing is not, if it is the input shaft bearing youd have to get the box reco'd the input shaft bearing isn't easy accessed, you need to split the box in half ( so diff shop job) doesn't matter what your problem is its box out time, then you'll know... At the least you'll have to replace clutch disc, pressure plate, re machine or new flywheel, new spigot , and new throw out bearing ....

So knowing that that only leaves one other possibility the box is rooted.... So gear up to replace all that (which you would in a normal clutch change anyway) and worst case scenario you find it's the box and get a reco one :)

If your curious pop the inspection cover off and have a looksey look for anything abnormal

My advice is dont fix it unless its broken, if it dives fine but is a little noisey deal withit until u have the funds to fix it properly

Hmm interesting, i don't particually wanna spend all my money on getting a new clutch new throw out bearing And getting the box split in half, i think i might just invest in a new car... Lol Thanks for the info though.