Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Not Running Right :S

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
hey guys,

i have a vt 97 series 1 commodore, and spent a good ammount of money on it for mods as you can see on my "My Ride" thread. i took it to a dyno day and put it on the dyno, and the end result was worse than what i would have got if i put it on stock...ive gone backwards :S. The dyno results were wayyy too lean, and another person said theres a flat spot in my motor...just wondering is there any suggestions on how i go unleashing the full potential of this car? because it has so much more, but i dont know what to do any more...

cheers

Last edited:

SMOTAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Have you got a copy of the dyno sheet you can post up for us so we can have a look?

Also what types of modifications have you done? Exposed pod filter could do less for the car but couldnt cause as much havoc as you have explained.

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Heres the dyno, and mods...

Engine:

- Pacemaker Blue StreetPRO Extractors
- 2.5 inch Custom Exhaust With Dual Exhaust Chrome Tip
- Mace Engineering Custom Cold Air Intake
- Mace Engineering Custom Plenum Spacer 17mm
- Mace Engineering Custom Cold Air Inlet Manifold Spacer 25mm
- Mace Engineering Custom Bored Out And Polished Throttle Body 69mm
- Custom ECU Chip
- SAAS Air Filter

26012010006.jpg

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
when you say custom chip is that mail order or on a dyno

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
How Many KMs on the VT mate? And the Custom ECU Chip as bob said.

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
the car has done 230,000kms just hit, and the chip is a custom mace engineering mail order chip...i was thinking, would bigger injectors do the trick? because to me on that dyno looks like its running amazingly too lean because the injectors cant keep up with the fuel that needs to be injected into the motor??? just a thought?

doyab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V6
on thats dyno sheets seems to me the power flat lines when the afr suddenly raises? but idk.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
To my vaguely knowledgeable in a broad sense eye, the AFR is way to lean and high eand low end. SOmething like 12.8 is safe.

That being said, i would have said you woudl have 125ish rwkw based on your mods, which are very similair to mine.

First thing - the MACE tune that comes with the throttle body is a special tune designed to smooth out throttle response. It's not a performance tune.

Talk to Foamy (Greenfoam) as he has recently done a tune for me, with some very low end (sub 1000rpm) timing tweaks to ease off on the off idle throttle response. The rest of the tune is a very good performance tune, which seems to do well with my VT. I had to get the change points adjust as the valve springs were bouncing at abouit 6000 rpm but the damn things now so torquey it will chirp into second gear - and it's an auto - if the wheels arent dead straight.

BTW - Foamy if you read this, I need to redo the tune to suit a 3.46 diff in the next month or so. Hopefully you can correct the speedo as well as the shift points ?

Cheers

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks Tsunamix,

i just emailed greenfoam then and explained everything, i hope he can do something for me...its upsetting knowing your cars not running right...:( im geting HSV blue top injectors as that might be the problem aswell, all these CAI mods might be putting too much air in and not enough fuel from the injectors....

please, any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I dont think injectors are your issue, because the factory injectors seem to be good until you go forced induction. That being said, if injectors help you, I might do the same :p