Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT not starting - immobiliser / BCM??

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Code 92. Means no feed back from pcm to bcm from engine cooling fan low speed.
The check engine light will be off.
From memory the manual says something about check if code 31 is present.
If you dont have code 31.
you need to test circuit 1221 red/black this is a data wire from the bcm to pcm also check intermittent fault in harness or connection at the pcm/bcm.
Sounds like its the bcm but its better to diagnose the job then guess work.

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Sounds as though this could be an expensive repair. Wondering if it's even worth fixing - spent more money fixing the bloody thing than I did buying it just a few years ago!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
I've called every one of the wreckers in my area, and NO ONE has a Low BMC with the key head. Holden just quoted me $750. :censored:

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
I've called every one of the wreckers in my area, and NO ONE has a Low BMC with the key head. Holden just quoted me $750. :censored:

Deep breaths lol. BCM is a fairly straight forward swap out, there's bucket loads on ebay

VT BCM | eBay

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Nathan, you are amazing :D How did I not think of Ebay? Just bought one with warranty!!

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyone think of checking or replacing the slip ring????

Tech 2 will pickup the error for slip ring fault.

Where do they break it's just one bit of metal haha. Could have come unplugged or something though.

Nathan, you are amazing :D How did I not think of Ebay? Just bought one with warranty!!

Ah , good to hear. the BCM is usually located in the drivers side footwell, if you remove the foot well trim and the fusebox cover and look up you should almost be able to see it.

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
What's the slip ring?

I pulled off all the plastic around the steering wheel to check that nothing had come loose from around the ignition, and all looks fine.

I checked out the BCM before ordering the one from ebay & I'm gonna do a bit of research on exactly how to swap them over. The plan is to leave the reds on to over-ride the immobiliser, drive the car to the auto electrician and change it over myself when I get there (where they are located, there is a huge parking area with space that goes around the back of their shop, so I won't be taking up too much room), then get them to program it.

BTW, the BCM I just ordered was only $88 + $22 postage. The Auto Electrician quoted me $80 to program it :yahoo:

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
What's the slip ring?

I pulled off all the plastic around the steering wheel to check that nothing had come loose from around the ignition, and all looks fine.

I checked out the BCM before ordering the one from ebay & I'm gonna do a bit of research on exactly how to swap them over. The plan is to leave the reds on to over-ride the immobiliser, drive the car to the auto electrician and change it over myself when I get there (where they are located, there is a huge parking area with space that goes around the back of their shop, so I won't be taking up too much room), then get them to program it.

BTW, the BCM I just ordered was only $88 + $22 postage. The Auto Electrician quoted me $80 to program it :yahoo:

Well done sounds like a plan, just a few things:

Did the BCM you ordered come with a key head? if not then it's likely the auto electrician has quoted you to program a key head to match the BCM. BCM's themselves can't be reprogrammed as far as I know.

All you'll need to do is:

- Install new BCM

- Unscrew your key from your current key head and put it into the new BCMs key head. Then you should be able to start the car.

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Yep, it comes with a key head! :)

When I got the quote from the electrician, I told him that I'd be getting a BCM with remote. I'll be ringing around to get some other quotes though - he is the only auto electrician in the area, and I've heard that's he takes advantage of that and charges a little more.

I'll let you know how I go with it!!