Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt not starting

onlinejames

Reaction score
known issues, they silver ring around the key lock is gone, the ignition barrel is dodgy that is doesnt spring back when starting the motor

the car had a noisy diff and was actually driven to my house and had taken the diff out and left for 8 weeks, a new diff was put in yesterday
we found the battery to be totally dead flat so the battery was charged for 2 hrs
now the motor cranks over 3 times and tries to start but will not start
the ignition barrel is a bit temperamental as you can put the ignition on and when you go to turn it to the start position to start the motor it does nothing, if you go from off and turn quickly to start the motor turns over 3 times before turning off without starting
the power windows arent working and the central locking isnt working

is this a problem with the ignition switch or could it be something wrong with the key remote or possibly the BCM
i read you can put the key in for an hour just to try to bypass the immobilizer but the silver ring is missing so that wont work because the little bit on the key doesnt make contact with anything until its in the ignition with dash lights on
is the ignition switch just the problem??
it was driven here so im not sure if the ignition switch just suddenly is the problem

hope this makes sense

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Your car sounds very neglected.
The silver ring is the key reader, a necessary ingredient in the car starting process. Try pressing the unlock button on the remote immediately before turning the key to start it.
You also need a new ignition switch, not barrel

onlinejames

Reaction score
ohh its not my car LOL, the car was able to start and run without the ring, it was driven to my house, you can see 2 silver pieces on each side but no ring
i dont think the remote is in sync with the cars BCM as the central locking isnt working via the remote
not sure how the battery going dead flat caused all this but it has somehow

D

devilly

accentstencil is correct :) as soon as the battery went flat the bcm,keyfob e.t.c would of done a reset and not found the ring. which sends info to things from my understanding you now have and open connecting so it will not start.do what accentstencil said and it should be all good.

onlinejames

Reaction score
after charging the battery for 24 hrs and trying to start it, was flat again within seconds, i noticed the security light above the mode button wasnt on at all
i put a ford battery in it and the car started up straight away
go figure,
we originally tried jump starting it with no success , even the holden wants to be a ford LOL
not sure what fixed it or the bcm just didnt like the stuffed battery ??

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
When you disconnected the battery it might have reset the BCM.