Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT only starts under a minute of unlocking

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
With the immobilzer on, if you turn the key quickly from off to start the engine will fire up for a second and die, if you take longer to turn the key the starter will still crank but it won't start. I doubt that the key reader is the problem.

Yeah that's what I've learned.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When you unlock the car with the remote, it also disarms the immobiliser for a minute or two, then the immobiliser will turn on again unless the ignition key is inserted into the ignition switch and turned on, which should also disarm the immobiliser if it has come back on again, via the key reader. It sound like a problem the key reader, or the key itself. As well as the metal knob that contacts the key reader, theres also another small metal contact that touches the actual metal part of the igniton key, this is actually an earth to complete the key reader circuit, so the key can be read by the bcm.This can cause this problem if its not clean and properly touching the metal part of the key. To check it,just remove the two screws and remove the metal part of the key from the plastic fob,you should be able to see the small metal tab up inside the key locating hole in the fob.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
+1 for key reader
Brett pretty much covered it

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I'll pull the column covers off and have a look around under there.

First off, before pulling any covers off the car itself, get your ignition key and remove the 2 srcews that holds the metal part of the key to the fob/remote/plastic part,(see pic), and once youve seperated them, if you look into the slot where the key fits into the fob, you should be able to see a metal contact around one of the screw holes in there, and this contact needs to be clean so it can make proper contact with the key. This contact touches the key, so the keys reader system can be earthed down through the igntion key itself, and then through the igntion switch to the car body, this completes the key reader earth circuit.

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 518

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Ah yes I remember the circuitry when replacing my key housing. I've done what you said. Removed the key from the housing. Gave the contact a good clean and now it's back together. My question is though, if it wasn't making contact - would it start at all? because the connection would be severed thus no signal going through saying it's the legit key for my BCM.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, even if the key or key reader is not working,and the car doesnt receive a signal through the key reader from the keyfob, the car will start and run as normal once the remote has been pressed, as pressing the remote also disables the security systems as you already know.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you forgot to mention that you are one of these people who plays with their key remote and then complains their car wont start

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
you forgot to mention that you are one of these people who plays with their key remote and then complains their car wont start

Nah that's my other key that I don't use.