Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt or vx calais

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
hey fellas soon i will have a new car either a vt or a vx calais wat would u guys suggest???? pros and cons of both and average prices please and yes a V6 thanks for ya time fellas

stevesvx2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore v6
i think vx calais are kinda ugly id go for a vx s pack

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
deffinetly want a calais mate i just wanna know the main differences

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
In your case the engine won't matter because they are both the same, I would just try and find a good clean one of either model.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
wat about the little options and stuff like that and wat did they fix vt to vx?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Options were much the same from VT- VX Calais. Depends what you prefer. A VT series 2 is a very nice car and they go for around $8000- $11000 in the V6 variant.

VX2 did get adjustable rear toe link from the factory so if you plan to lower the car that's a sweetner but only a small one. It comes down to cosmetics.

You can only get side airbags with leather seat afaik so that's one more reason to select a leather optioned car.

M

mwb235

You can only get side airbags with leather seat afaik so that's one more reason to select a leather optioned car.

You can get Calais seats that have side airbags in both the VTII and VX, that are just velour. I have velour VX Calais seats in my VT Calais 50th Anniversary (which also have side airbags), also last week i saw a VTII Calais wreck with velour trims too.

deffinetly want a calais mate i just wanna know the main differences

If it were me i'd look at a VTII or a VX doesn't really matter, but perhaps try to buy the latest year you can (say a 2000 VTII or a VX) only because these will most likely be less problematic. Unless of course you can find a good low-km VT series 1. If you're getting a Gen III V8 get a VX, as the first VT2 Gen III models had lots of issues.

There isn't really a lot of diference between the VT and VX Calais models. All the features like ABS, IRS, factory stereo with CD stacker, auto headlights on, climate control, etc are all the same.

There are probably a few i've missed, but here are some of the differences between VT and VX Calais that i can think of at the moment (most of these are minor differences only):

Manufacture years:
VT1 - 1997 to 1999
VT1 50th Anniversary - 1998
VT2 - 1999 to 2000
VT2 Calais International - 2000 (?)
VX1 - 2000 to 2001
VX1 Calais International - 2001 (?)
VX2 - 2001 to 2002

Engines:
VT1 - V6 Ecotec 3.8L, V6 Supercharged 3.8L, V8 5.0L
VT2 and VX - V6 Ecotec 3.8L, V6 Supercharged 3.8L, V8 Gen III 5.7L

Airbags:
VT1 - 2 airbags
VT1 50th Anniversary, VT2 and VX - 4 airbags

Traction Control availability:
VT1 - V6 Ecotec and V6 Supercharged only
VT2 and VX - all engines

Factory Wheel sizes:
VT1 - 16 x 7 / 215
VT2 and VX - 16 x 8 / 225
(VT2 and VX1 Calais International have 17 x 8 / 235 [not 100% sure on the rating but])

Other minor differences:
* Different grilles between VT1, VT2 and VX
* Different head lights between VT and VX
* Different tail lights between VT and VX
* VT2 has a chrome strip on the rear bootlid garnish, VT1 does not
* VT has chrome strips in front & rear bumpers, VX do not
* VT2 and VX have the PRND321 display in dash cluster, VT1 does not
* VX2 has upgraded wiper & cruise/indicator stalks, VT and VX1 have the older style stalks
* VX2 has control-link IRS, VT and VX1 do not
* VT2 and VX have a leather handbrake lever, VT1 do not
* VT2 and VX have remote deadlocking (by pressing remote "lock" button twice), whereas VT1 this is done manually with the key in the driver's door lock. When car is deadlocked with remote the indicators flash for three seconds (VT1 doesn't do this).
* VT2 and VX have an upgraded BCM (Body Control Module) that disables the boot release button in glovebox when car locked, and turns on interior lighting when key turned off (does this at night but not in the daytime - controlled by light sensor on dash).
* VT has a keyhole in the bootlid, VX do not (VX instead have an emergency boot release pull cord in boot, next to the ski hatch etc)
* VT2 and VX have a slightly different rubber front windscreen seal to VT1
* VT2 and VX have a woodgrain dash surrounds, VX2 has silver surrounds, VT1 has woodgrain on two map pockets and t-bar surround only
* VT2 and VX have a boot carpet anchor point on the bootlid (to attach the boot floor carpet's pull-cord onto, so it stays up, when removing spare wheel etc), VT1 have a plastic clip attached to the boot floor carpet which breaks/bends easily.
* VT2 and VX have wider chromed exterior side window surrounds, on VT1 these are thinner.

Last edited by a moderator:

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
thanks for your time fellas deffinetly seems like i will be going with a VT series 2 or above no series 1 one more question do all the calais have fe2 suspension?

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
DONT get a series 1 VT.

and I wouldnt really get a series 1 vx either.

Where abouts are you from? Near my uni there is a White VTII supercharged calais for I think 8,000.. if your in melb, and want me to go in and check out kms etc etc i can as its literally on my way to uni, and ive wanted to check it out anyway

I couldnt be happier with my VT2 calais.. the only problems I have had are due to idiotic truck drivers and taxi drivers.

If you can find a VX2, i'd go for that though.

Depends also if you like the woodgrain dash or not? The VX2 has the black piano finish

Interior wise, other than that, theyre pretty similar... main diff i would say is the exterior, just the lights really... oh, and the vt has a chrome strip around the front and rear bumper where the vx doesnt... I like that too

Either car, very nice choice :D