Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT pulling to left under hard braking

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Ok so to give a bit of background info, a while ago I noticed after driving for longer than 15-20mins that my right-rear brake was cooking (smell of hot brakes and standing next to that wheel I could feel the heat radiating off it).

The disc (and pads) had deep grooves worn in them, so I figured that perhaps the caliper was siezed and therefore the brake constantly dragging.

So I pulled off the caliper, pads, and disc, the caliper slides seemed to move ok although one was a little dry. But I replaced the lot anyway, just with second-hand items from a wrecker (the pads I got were about half worn, the disc was basically new).

It was alright for a while, but lately I've noticed that under firm to hard braking (ie when someone cuts you off) the car pulls to the left a bit (not a huge amount as if the left side was doing all the braking, but definitely noticeable). Under soft to medium braking it's fine.

I'm pretty sure it's to do with that right-rear brake that I'd worked on. I did bleed it at the time but I'll try it again to see if it makes a difference.

I know I only replaced the pads/disc on one side (and ideally I know you should replace both) but that side was still good (pads half worn, disc above minimum thickness). But would that be what's causing the problem?

The only other thing I can think of is that there is a blockage in the line going to that brake (although not a complete blockage as the brake does still operate).

Any ideas?

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
Most braking is done by the front brakes....i'd be checking front calipers, particularly the left, for good operation. And obviously pads and discs too.

I would also bleed the whole system if you didn't bleed the whole system before.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Worn front Z-bar bushes have also been known to cause things like this.

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Ok yeah I did put brand new discs and pads on the front about 2 years ago, but I will check them and the calipers too.

By Z-bar do you mean the radius rod bushes? As I know I had the control arm bushes and sway bar links replaced about 1.5 years ago, I'm not sure if the radius rod ones were done or not though.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Could be that there is air in your lines. Possible that when the rear brakes where getting hot before that it boiled the fluid in the lines causing bubbles in there. I would bleed all four corners replacing the fluid with new stuff and see if that fixes your problem