Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT rattle noise over small bumps

Charlie Bravo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Commodore
Hey all, in need of everyone's advice. I own a VT s-pac that has a metallic rattle coming from the front when driving slowly over small bumps or hard rough surfaces and noise reduces considerably when foot on the brakes. I have replaced in the last two weeks, radius rod bushes and caster mounts, lower control arm bushes, struts, strut mounts, strut mount bearing, tie rod ends and link pin bushes. Had wheel alignment carried out and new front tyres. Have also taken to pedders and had 28 point safety check. Wheel bearings are good as well as ball joints. Steering rack in good condition as well. This rattle had been going on for years and still unable to pin point it. Callipers are tight and no other associated noise other than a tingy rattle. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Charlie Bravo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Commodore
Yes, have also climbed under car while its on all 4 wheels and tried to move link pin washes. No joy.

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Is the sound loud or quiet? I hear a noise from somewhere near my front wheels also when going over small bumps, rough roads etc, it just sounds like a 'tink'. I was so sure it was one of my wheel bearings so I replaced it (the whole hub unit) but that's not it, i don't have any other ideas so I too would appreciate any clues.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is the sound loud or quiet? I hear a noise from somewhere near my front wheels also when going over small bumps, rough roads etc, it just sounds like a 'tink'. I was so sure it was one of my wheel bearings so I replaced it (the whole hub unit) but that's not it, i don't have any other ideas so I too would appreciate any clues.
In your case I would be looking at the link pin bushes first.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check the bracket that holds the transmission lines across the front cross member.

Also, check the exhaust flange nuts where the pipes go to the manifolds, and check the cat.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Not to sound stupid or anything, but some one hasn't left any tools, nuts or bolts sitting any where that could rattle around?
When I had the suspension upgrade on my 4x4 years ago, some bright spark mechanic left a small piece of wire hanging from the left rear spring, at a guess to hang a work light off.
The rattle drove me mad for a month 'till I had a good look.

Charlie Bravo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Commodore
Thanks everyone for the ideas, good thinking about the trans lines on the cross member. My plastic clips were shot, but had already zip tied them secure as well. No tools, but good thinking. Checked the manifold flanges and a-ok. What I did discover this morning was there is play in the calliper slide pins... Pulled them apart, greased up the pins and put back in. Still a little play left as either the pins are worn down or the sleeves are flogged out. But to my surprise this has suppressed the tinking noise quite a lot, so I think this may be a winner. Any ideas on whether you can get sleeve replacements or if up for new callipers. Rang Holden and quoted $10ea for slide pins.

Charlie Bravo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Commodore

Sound is not very loud, just a rattling tinking noise like dragging cans down the road