Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt relay problems?

uniiiiit

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0 L vz crewman
just wondering if any one has some advice any help would be greatly appreciated

i have a vt commodore that i use for work and i have been having problems with the relays. heres whats been happening-

drove to the shops the other day after work everything was fine on the way there but when i came out it would not start(just made a ticking sound) found out after a while it was the starter relay. so swapped it with the high beam relay and it started fine. drove home high beams wouldn't work (until about halfway home then they started working again)

the next day went to start the car. same ticking noise wtf? changed relays back (noticed a shitload of ants in the relay/fuse board cleaned as many as i could out) tried to start and it would turn over but not fire. thought i might have something to do with all the ants son i sprayed some contact cleaner to try get rid of ants put it all back together and started it up and it fired and ran until i turned the aircon off and as soon as i touched the button the engine died and would turn over but not fire.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I'd say the ants have played a major problem in the fuse box.
Activating the A/C relay may have shorted the contacts and caused a fusible link or a fuse to blow.
My suggestion would be to disconnect the battery, remove all the relays and fuses and give it a really good clean.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
A mate working in Katherine NT had this hassle with his VS Statesman. ended up using surface spray on the electrics/fuse boxes under the bonnet and in the interior and also replaced all his relays. All. Cost him a bit too. But it was the only way he could stop the little blighters causing him more grief like your suffering!

uniiiiit

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0 L vz crewman
Thanks for the replies I endend up pulling all the fuses/relays out spraying the **** out of them and the board with contact cleaner put them all back in. After a bit of wiggling around got it started and running went for a drive. Seems all good. For now.....

Must be a N.T thing I'm at nhulunbuy Gove

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I agree with the surface spray idea. It is supposed to kill anything that touches it for the next three months. Give it a good spray then blow everything out with compressed air. I had the same problem with the motor on one of my garage roller doors. Ants were all through the circuit board and stopped it working. I gave it a good dose of surface spray and then blew it out with compressed air and it has worked ever since.

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
I had same problem with my car. Had to stick a rock between the relays to keep that thing working.