Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt s 3.8 to 5 litre help

bazzer294

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
hey guys i bought a vt commodore for 3 k it was originly a 1998 vt s supercharge and had a conversion to a 5 speed and 5litre engine
the gauges on the car do not work but the fuel gauge engine was out of a 96 vs ute the owner who done it all said everything is there just needs to be wired up
the question is this a big problem im not to smart with electrical i have asked around and get told different things 1 guy said needs all new wiring ect another says everything should go in very confused:unsure::unsure:

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Hi mate,

For starters the car is illegal. You can't put an older engine into the VT in NSW, it won't comply with emissions/pollution standards and all that crap. Secondly, I take it the dude who put the motor in didn't change the wiring loom to suit? If not, this will cause some problems. Does the car run/drive? I'd be surprised if it did.

Best bet is either an auto sparky, or find a loom from a 5L VT and swap the lot (including PCM). The other alternative though would be to grab a supercharged 6 and put it back to stock.

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
hes right unless it was from a series 3 ute that was the same year and month as the vt the engine conversion can be looked at illegal and again hes right you will need to find a engine loom and computer from a VT 5 litre and the bcm to match otherwise you will have to pay to get them linked if you do that it should all be plug and play mostly if it was from a vs series 2 or older you will need to get a maf and add that and remove the map sensor and block where it connected to the manifold or you could get it tuned with out the maf but will cost you heaps and thats if you can find some one that knows what there talking about.

Good luck you may very well be better off selling it and starting again o and make sure you get a loom and computer to suit the 5 speed as well a auto one wont work

bazzer294

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
thanks for the feedback guys
the guy who originally had the conversion done already had it blue slipped and regersted and at the rta they said nothing about it BUT the engine numbers match the papers but it still has the 3.8 capasity on the papers :$ i can get a blue slip through the guy that originaly did it and passed it he said everything was done and the rta have stuffed up so not to worried i can get around that
the car starts and runs very good fuel gauge works but temp rpm and kph dont work and most of the lights on the dash are on and beebing ???
so 1 where could i get the wiring loom i need iv looked around the net nothing for 5 litre vt manual or 2 if i take it to an electrician can he some how wire it up with out getting a new wiring loom ???

and yes if its going to be a big hassel i will sell it

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
auto elec can do anything its more of just how much that will cost and sadly they will never quote on a job like that they will just say our hourly rate is $xx and we will just keep going till its done you could get a $200 bill you could get a $1000 bill you never know.
You could try a few wreckers for a loom but the issue your going to have very very few people will sell just a loom and computer does if run a maf at the moment o and get the numbers sorted with the rta asap you could get into trouble if they some how found out.

Is the car a series 1 or 2 ?

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
here is a couple reasons your motor wont work..

VT 5ltr ECU runs the sequential injection, also has a MAF and the vt 5ltr motor is a roller cam motor with additional vaccum hoses..

the motor you have put in is hydrolic, less vaccum hoses, no sequential injection and no MAF

bazzer294

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
the car is a series 1 1998 iv rang the original guy he just recons you gotta hook everything up i sent him a msg asking if its the old wiring loom or if he got the vt ss loom waiting for reply
ok im not to switched on with this stuff can sombody tell me what a MAF is and what it does lol ?

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
as i said, series 1 vt v8 had the roller motor with sequential injection and MAF

the motor in your car is hydrolic, no sequential and no MAF, meaning not only will it not work properly but its also illegal.

MAF is the air flow meter, stands for MASS AIR FLOW

you need to know these things so we can help you

- which ECU is the car running
- Which LOOM is the car running

you could have a couple issues here,

if its a vt 5ltr loom on a vs 5ltr motor, you have an issue.
if its a vs 5ltr loom and motor using a VT ecu, you have an issue
if its a vs 5ltr loom, motor and ecu well then your still in strive with your RTA

Last edited:

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
what did he get the motor from thats the big question VS series 3 utes ran up till 2000 and ran the same motor used in the VT do a engine number check and find the aprox year of the motor thats a good place to start.
This is a Maf Vy V8 commodore,LS1 Mass Air Flow Sensor ( maf sensor ) Vt,Vx,Vy, 5.7ltr | eBay
it should be connected in the pipe work between the air box and throttle body it measures the incoming air speed and helps the engine calculate the amount of fuel needed and the pressure to use in the auto.
Also what engine covers does it have the rounded vt style or the older vn-vs style ?
No offence but the guy you got it off seems to be talking crap to you if it was the matter of pluging a few things in why didnt he do it ? hes not going to admit to doing dodgy stuff maybe the reason he sold it because he couldnt get it working right.

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
does the engine run a vgrove belt on the alternator or a ribbed belt ? if your not sure take a few pics and post them up