Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT S2 S Supercharged Temp Gauge problem

MysVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 S Pack
Hey,

Really hoping someone here can help as my mechanic seems to be at a loss... All this time, the car doesn't seem to be overheating, but I'm not certain.

My S2 VT S Pack has recently had a few issues:

1. Cooling system lost pressure - Heater tap pipes were corroded and broke, I replaced the heater tap
2. Temp gauge starts going mental intermittently, maybe once a week - shoots up to hot, then is fine again, repeats this behaviour
3. Mechanic suggests thermostat - we change it out
4. Two weeks later, gauge goes crazy again, shoots to hot repeatedly. Mechanic suggests radiator blockage, we test it, seems legit, changed out the radiator, flushed system etc.
5. Temp gauge still shooting to hot, this time two weeks after radiator is fixed, this time every time I drive it, within 5 minutes of the thermostat opening, gauge shoots to hot, then back down, then up again so on so on. I notice coolant leaking from the drivers side of the engine.
6. Take it to the mechanic again. He says after running it for a while he notices the heater tap leaking (ARGH). We change it out

That was last night. The gauge is going to hot every time I drive the car. At a bit of a loss, the mechanic has no idea what it is.

Any help would be most appreciated.

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
hey m8 u probably since u have replaced your heater tap thats good. u should also replace any hoses comming off of it that might be leaking. when i changed my heater tap i still had a small leak from the hose that connects ontop of the powersteering pump. And did u try flushing the radiator and adding new coolant? keep in mind that if you do so you have to plead the system of air correctly. after changing the heater tap pipe did u blead the system using the 3 bleader screws? the l67 has 3 bleader screws and it can be a pain in the arse to get all of the air out of the system. there should be a walkthrough somewhere on this fourm on how to do it. hope that helps

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
jason learn to use enter and right a normal paragraph lol.

anyways to the OP, there are still alot of things still untested to cause this fault in your engine.

Next thing i would be checking is the temp sensor, it could be faulty, next time it shoots to hot, check if the engine is actually hot or just running at normal, these things can send mixed messages like this.

and asked before did you change the heater tap hoses along with the heater tap?

has you mechanic done a pressure test?

also there are a few other options, your thermostat could also be a faulty one and not opening fully, always do the hot water test before you install them, also change the radiator cap if its old, these can let air into the system.