Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt series 1 v6 stalling

vtchris

Reaction score
Members Ride
series1 99 vt wagon
Hi guys
I have a problem with my vt series1 v6 wagon
Every now and then starting to be more offten now when driving along at any speed it will just stall like the key has been turned off some time it will start straight away sometimes it takes 5 minutes or so to start again
And it does no matter how much fuel it has
When it doent start straight away you can turn the key off and on several times and i cant hear the fuel pump or the relay clicking in and out so i changed the relays and fuses but its still doing it
Anyone got any ideas whats up with it
Thanks chris

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
I think the most common cause of this fault is a dodgy crank angle sensor. Have u checked for codes?

D

devilly

i had this happen and it got worse over time.fuel filter was blocked changed it all good, then a few months later started playing up again ended up having to change ignition barrel.

then couldn't start it at all wirer's at back of alternator were arching out.

do what Turtl3 suggested first if no code then try check some of the things i have mentioned :)

vtchris

Reaction score
Members Ride
series1 99 vt wagon
Thanks guys
Im awaiting on a cable and program for my laptop once i have that then ill check for codes ill look at the other stuff that you have mentioned ive just replayced the ignition switch and that made no difference to that problem ill look at the others soon thanks again guys

chuteing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged
i've got this exact problem...

car starts for the first time of the day with no issues.
sounds fine and everything
i could be driving down the road and usually at about 5-20kmph with no acceleration, the car just randomly cuts out. all the lights come up on the dash board but car just cuts out
i have to turn the ignition off when the car comes to a stop, and when i try and start it again it for the next 2-5 times it will try start up but doesnt crank over...
its not the sound you have when you have a dead battery.. it actually tries to turn over but not grabbing...

so eventually i will get to my destination (supermarket for example) and then if i shop for 15 mins and come back to car and try to start it wont start, but same as above, tries to but wont grab.

im getting my car looked into today, hopefully i can find it out without paying any big $$$

VT 1998 COMM CALAIS

vtchris

Reaction score
Members Ride
series1 99 vt wagon
Ok guys bit of an update
The vt hasnt done it for the last week now then this morning i drove to work 8 minutes parked the car next to my truck put in park and left it idealing for about 5 mins then al of a sudden it just died
Didnt miss fire or anything just died like key was turned off
So i turned key off and on again a couple times
I cant seem to hear the fuel pump or the relay clicking so i swapped relays still nothing and all it does is wind over will not fire at all
ANY IDEAS this is starting to bug the **** out of me

D

devilly

did you replace the fuel filter ? do you occasional put injector cleaner in with fuel ?

if fuel filter hasn't been changed and it's blocked, it will act like a kill switch has been turned on.

wait for the fuel to settle and see if it fires up.could also be what Turtl3 said when it cool's down could be the crank angle sensor.

fuel filter is cheap, crank angle sensor is $100

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Take some cold water with you.. next time it wont start, pour water over CAS to cool it, if it starts there is your problem..

Fuel filter is cheap as piss, and better to change out now than later... for piece of mind..

- reminds me, need to go get one for the go-cart.