Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt series 2 Calais LS1 developed a rolling knock in the rear only when turning right

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
hi guys, as the heading says, my VT Calais has just developed a rolling knock in the rear last week, that only happens when turning right, at first i did not notice it as where i live in a small town has not got any round abouts, visited my step mum in Sydney southwest where there are a lot of round abouts, and every time i go round i get this metal on metal rolling knock, but now it's every time i turn right

what could it be? had a quick look under the rear and i can not find anything loose, i dont have a flat surface space to jack the rear up atm to take the wheel off, tried to search it up on here, only thing i could find is people had similar rolling knocks when turning left and the suggestions were engine mounts, but mine is the opposite turning right, would it be the same

thanks for your replies in advance

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Possibly a CV joint on one of the driveshafts.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Possibly one of the wheel bearings. Pretty uncommon for the rear ones to go cactus on these, but it does happen.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Possibly one of the wheel bearings. Pretty uncommon for the rear ones to go cactus on these, but it does happen.
100% this. I've had two wheel bearings go and you can only really hear the sound when turning. Have someone else drive your car on a quiet paved road and sit in the back seat. Listen on one side and then slide over to the other side and listen again. One side will probably have a noticeable grinding noise, that's the bad one obviously. They cost bugger all on ebay and because my husband is always like "I'm always doing stuff on your car, quit hitting potholes and shït" and because I love creating a good pothole tsunami when it's been raining, I decided to replace mine myself and even he was impressed at the job I did. You just need an Allen key and a torque wrench, really. And a jackhammer to undo some of the bolts (or an impact wrench, whatever's easier for you to get under your car).
giphy.gif

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
Thanks guys n gals, I had a look under the rear, and found where the knock was by grabbing the exhaust to pull myself under, the exhaust was hitting the side of the body, one of the two rubber mounts was broken, outer rubber was ripped to be precise, and the inner one was pulling it to the side of the body, so easy fix this time, two fat cable ties until a new rubber arrives
IMG_5191.JPG

Last edited:

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
That was convenient! Easy fix.