Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Six speed issues

Redroostr

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 215i 6spd Senator
Hi guys, just wondering if I could pick some brains here. I got a VR 215 Senator that has a VT 6 spd fitted ( dunno why, maybe the original 6 spd popped) What its doing is you can put it into gear and if you let the clutch out slowly it will move until too much weight is on it then it sounds like the gears are only half meshed and starts graunching and you cant drive it any further. This happens in every gear, would this be some kind of clutch problem or god forbid an internal prob in the box. :hmmm: Luckily it happened at home and not out in front of Fords somewhere. Oh yeah one thing I noticed too was there seems to be like a bit of clutch shudder a few weeks before it happened.

Any input appreciated :)

gruntss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Is it noisy in neutral with the clutch pedal in or out?

I'd be putting it up on stands and checking gearbox and engine mounts if it only does it when accelerating or taking off.

Last edited:

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
so are you saying one you have come off the clutch the car does continue to move but with a bad sound or it stops moving and makes the bad sound ? if it stops moving its a internal issue in the box cant remember what its called but do a search for popping out of gear if its still going but making a hell bad noise it could be clutch or internals something could be broken on the clutch and making the noise or something in the box is stuffed and making the noise your best bet will be to get it to a gear box shop and have them listen to it also how do you know it has a VT box and not a VR one there both T56's ??

Redroostr

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 215i 6spd Senator
Thanks for the reply mate.....the only noise in neutral is what sounds like what I think is thrust bearing noise cos it goes away with the clutch in.

Redroostr

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 215i 6spd Senator
so are you saying one you have come off the clutch the car does continue to move but with a bad sound or it stops moving and makes the bad sound ? if it stops moving its a internal issue in the box cant remember what its called but do a search for popping out of gear if its still going but making a hell bad noise it could be clutch or internals something could be broken on the clutch and making the noise or something in the box is stuffed and making the noise your best bet will be to get it to a gear box shop and have them listen to it also how do you know it has a VT box and not a VR one there both T56's ??

As you let the clutch out slowly it will creep until you let the clutch all the way out in which case it will stop moving and the sound it makes is kinda like its only half engaging in gear.
When I bought the car I was told it had a VT box, and you can see where they have machined around the bell housing to fit the starter motor properly.
Cheers :)

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
you cant bolt a vt box straight into a aussy motor machined for the starter on not completly different bellhousing is needed though they sometime machine away some of the bellhousing in that area to fit a larger extracors through mine had to be done on my gts.

There is a chance of a few things one the input shaft is damaged or 2 the cluch im leaning towards the clutch sounds like you may have snapped some parts in there or the pressure plate has died thats what id lean towards becasue it was starting to go then now its like its wants to go but cant hence not enough clamp pressure from the pressure plate either way its going to be a box out job thats the only way to know for sure its stuffed any way so not like your wasting time taking it out

Redroostr

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 215i 6spd Senator
you cant bolt a vt box straight into a aussy motor machined for the starter on not completly different bellhousing is needed though they sometime machine away some of the bellhousing in that area to fit a larger extracors through mine had to be done on my gts.

There is a chance of a few things one the input shaft is damaged or 2 the cluch im leaning towards the clutch sounds like you may have snapped some parts in there or the pressure plate has died thats what id lean towards becasue it was starting to go then now its like its wants to go but cant hence not enough clamp pressure from the pressure plate either way its going to be a box out job thats the only way to know for sure its stuffed any way so not like your wasting time taking it out

Yeah I sorta thought something to do with the clutch and I was hopeing that too, I was getting alot of ppl, sayin na mate the box is had it but yup your right....box out for sure.
You have a point about the box being VT or not cos I guess they were made for American motors not the Aussie one. That would suit me too having the proper one and not some matchup.
Hey I appreciate your input...cheers mate :thumbsup:

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
Not a problem
The american ones are the T56 there all the same from VR-VY i think the VZ ones where slightly different not 100% sure the difference from vt series 2 to the VR ones is the bellhousings starter location shifter location and the cluch setup but the box it self is the same.

Good luck with it and for your sake i hope im right make sure you get something with a little more bite to it than the stock clutch

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
i think he means 6 speed from something like a vt gts with the aussie v8 in it?

anyhow did you sort the issue?

first thing i would have done was drop the oil and sus it out first