Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SPAC repairs

samuel.scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT SPAC 3.8 Manual
So I've finally sold the Pulsar.
I need a new 307 lsd (or lower), reconditioned gearbox, and new suspension.
I've been looking on ebay and found plenty of struts that are labeled "suits FE2", I am not sure weather these are legit FE2's (or if FE2 only applies to the springs).
A reconditioned diff is just way too expensive, so I'll probably just get a 2nd hand one and replace the oil regularly.
The gearbox, I remember someone on ebay doing them for 800+ fitting (when original gearbox was exchanged).
Could anyone give me any idea on what to look for in new struts? I get a pinging like noise from the front left, squeeking from the rears, and just general bumpiness. Could it just be the bushes or rubbers going?
Advice?

Last edited:

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

308 used diffs are cheap under $200, lsd is + $500 for used , and another $300 on top for reco
you need to have some one familiar with them and to at least "feel for wear " in saying that it may look and feel perfect but the weight of a car and the power of a engine will turn it from ok on the shelf to a worn rattler

My question is do you really need LSD, most people do not, my SS has one, its perfect but i hate it, it does not have traction controll and on a wet road 10% throttle and it fish tails
Once or twice i have hit a small bump on a slight corner and the LSD grabs

I do not need both wheels hooking up, its not a drag stip

Anyway....

FE2 relates to the entire suspension, but shorter and stiffer springs, and suitable shorter struts, FE2 struts are the factory lowered, some say 1/5 inches others 2 inches
It depends on how much you want to spend, whiteline has 2 struts, 2 rear springs, 4 coils all under $700 new, used $150-$250
funny enough brand new GM stock are as cheap as $35 new

I did buy a set of monaro front and rear FE2 used ones 2 months ago for a bloke at work and it was $80 for all 4

used FE2 front and rear springs $175 Springs Front Back Genuine FE2 HSV R8 Commodore Springs SS VR VS VT VX VY VZ | eBay

Gearbox, V6 or V8, V6 use can be about $250 + $200-$250 fitted, if your one is still working, have a reputable shop look at it, it may just need service specially if fluid is not bright blood red

You need 2 people, once to bounce the car and another to carefully try and locate where the squeek is, it could be as simple as dry sway bar rubbers, this can be cheaply fixed with new rubbers or some wd40 , same with the front caster rubbers ( under the radiator ) , worn shocks can sqeek as they age or leak fluid , or any rubber component on the car

To firm shocks and springs will not soak up road bump,s first they squeek then then thud then they bang

regards
george