Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS 5.7L or '98/'99 WRX... need your opinions

TIN_MAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
thanks for the input guys and girls lol,

what fuel does a LS1 on a factory tune need to run on?
i got a feeling it will be an expensive daily driver.

i am going to try to do a few test drives when the time comes.

i just dont want to go and spend all my money on a wrx only to break something and not have the coin to get it fixed asap.

there's nothing wrong with owning a vt ss 5.7 is there? they are still tough cars.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
I'd go for the SS buddy.

Personally I prefer a v8 to a 4cyl turbo, ESPECIALLY if you're not going to put in a better turbo. I drove a VY SS which was traded in for an 07 forester (same engine as a wrx) and theres no comparison, and thats an 07 not a 98/99.

Also, the interior (where you spend a fair bit of time :p) is MUCH better in a VT. The wrx is very... basic so to speak, but then again im not a fan of most japanese car interiors.

So, in my opinion, the SS is bigger and better in every way!

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
if you don't have a heavy foot the v8 won't cost much more than a v6 to run. if your worry is petrol go for vx s2 or later with the active fuel management you can run them on just as much as a 4 banger

TIN_MAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
if you don't have a heavy foot the v8 won't cost much more than a v6 to run. if your worry is petrol go for vx s2 or later with the active fuel management you can run them on just as much as a 4 banger

nah i'm over being a leadfoot, only costs you more money, that could be spent on other things. i prefer just cruising and maybe the occasional "spirited drive".

so a vt ss costs more to run than a s2 vx ss? is there much benefit if i had it retuned? other than for power.

i'm pretty much decided on a gen 3 powered ss lol

also in my town the cops hate you and will hound you if you drive a turbo car, and they leave you alone if you drive a v8 lol.

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
i know the vx's use less petty than the vs v6's so cost ain't to bad a tank should get around 500k city driving with the fuel mengement the car runs on 4cl till you put your foot down then all the power you will need will be there useing all 8. with saying that i heard the vt's ain't that bad nither on petrol just keep the rpm under 3k and you'll be fine.

as for a retune there's always going to be benifets more power and usally less fuel. but if your looking at money at the bowser it won't save much there

as for jumping in a prowling lion there's nothing like having a v8 under foot unlike those wrx's you can get the same feeling from sitting on a blender

hope this helps

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I've been wanting a WRX for a long time, especially a hatch version. Where i live, we get a lot of rain, there's also a lot of ranges we drive up and down aswell. A WRX, would be one of the most perfect cars for my situation.I've riden in a few WRX's, and i've had the pleasure being allowed to drive one of them, and i've never been able to fault them. Aside from a cramped backseat, but i'm not concerned with that. I rarely have one more than pasenger at a time anyway. For acceleration, handling, and braking, nothing in the price range as far as i'm concerned even come's close.

The only thing i dislike, is how common they are. Seems their everywhere these days, and typically all modified in the same way. If a "bug eyed" hatch version, does one day land itself in my driveway, it will be completely standard, and pretty much remian that way..

TIN_MAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina

also correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure the vx s2 doesnt have "AFM", from what i can find on the net about it, it was only introduced in the new VE range with the 6L and only available in those with the auto gearbox.

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
na i think your right there mate

blnls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS M6
I'd go the vt ss if it was a LS1.
I owned a 99 wrx with exhaust and intake mods and raced a few vt ss LS1's with the same mods and while i was quicker off the line, they had me on toast buy the end of 2nd gear.
And it's much easier to get good power out of the LS1's in my opinion.

Chilli_Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX XU6
Sounds like a tough decision, never driven a wrx before but ive driven vt & vx with an LS1.

Obviously your best bet is to test drive both and see which one has the most fun factor for you, but from personal experience ild test drive a vx 2 ss just for comparison purposes to the vt.
Vx has the extra links in the rear suspension to help with the uneven camber wear, has a better manifold than the vt ls1, fit n finish/build quality is also much better and from memory I think the vx is slightly lighter aswell.

Hope this helps.