Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS Horn not working - Troubleshooting help please

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
:help: OK, the horn itself is fine as I have connected it straight to 12v and it works fine. I bought a 2nd hand clock spring from a wreckers and tried that and still nothing :bang: (was only $20 for whole column so what the hey). The wiring does look a little dodgey tho so what I was after was some places I can 'short' out between the horn and the steering wheel to test the circuitry, this way I can find out where the problem actually does lie and I can get the replacement part. I'm thinking it may be the horn +airbag as it does feel a bit 'off' to push but as it's been like that since I acquired the car I can't tell for sure.

If anybody knows how to do this (like in relay box for example) you would be a terrific help - our other car goes off the road tomorrow for smash repairs and i'd like to have this ready for rego so we can still have a car each this week and tomorrow is my only chance during the week to get rego done.:help:

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
had a similar problem,horn wouldnt work. then when i got it to work the horn stayed on. so i smacked the horn pad with my fist(do this outside the car,seen someone do it in the car once & the airbag went off,poor bloke pooped his pants,lol) & havent had a problem since. so check the horn pad itself,it may be sticky,it may have a loose contact etc:)

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Do i get to the pad by removing the air bag from the outer casing? I have a dead one here with a blown airbag that i pulled apart to see how it works but i'm a bit worried about pulling the airbag out on a bood one and it going off! Poop my pants would be the minimum.

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
OK, i've since got 12v to the right terminal in where the relay is and that works, and the relay works as i swapped it out with the low beam ones and lights still work fine. 12v into both connectors on both clock springs in the horn connector and nothing. I'd love to know which wire to put the 12v to in the clock spring connector if anybody out there has a diagram, or just knows for that matter.

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Right, well, i've established that the problem is either in the clock spring or the pad. Through much checking and double checking i've found which are the 2 wires in the back of the clock spring connector which need to be shorted in order to sound the horn. In the VT SS there are only 4 cables, 2 for horn and 2 for SRS. The 2 horn cables are black/green (-) and black/yellow (+). Looking into the plug from the right you have green (SRS) white (srs) black/yellow (horn +) black/green (horn -). Short these 2 out and your horn will sound (should everything forward be ok). Considering I have 2 clock springs and 0 work when i short out the horn connector i'm presuming these are probably the problem, so i'm going to rip one apart and see what makes it tick and confirm my suspicions. Stay tuned for the solution to my own problem :)

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
So, in conclusion, I should have just bought a new clock spring from holden instead of screwing around with wreckers ;). Bypassed the clockspring by running 2 wires directly from clock spring connector into horn clock spring connector on airbag/horn pad, press the horn and hey presto she works. Off to holden tomorrow then :)

Copafield

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
And for anybody wondering, holden charges $210 for a new clock spring, bit pricey but the horn is now working and the car is now registered and on the road - look out gold coast ;)