Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS LS1 recent purchase, 240,000kms, parts replacement

VT_Cruiser

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt SS S2 5.7
I have just bought this car, it has full regular service history, and its been roadworthied, serviced by my mechanic, and goes fantastic but has 240,000kms on the clock. I have checked the VT faults pages to see common problems. I have never had a car with this many kilometres and wanted to know if there were any parts i should just replace for my own piece of mind in a car this old (please try to resist the temptation to say all of it). Apart from the service, i had replaced the heater tap because they often look ok until you touch it and a piece snaps off. Are there any other parts like the tap that can catch me out, and should replace for my own piece of mind? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, using the information from this site, i installed a new towbar to my VT last weekend, and considering how hopeless a mechanic i am, i was chuffed at how well it turned out. I really appreciate all the info this site provides for those of us not mechanically minded. Cheers

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
I would start with looking at the normal parts that wear out. Such as front and rear shocks/struts, front suspension rubbers especialy z bar front rubber very prone to fail.

about all that would give you issue's on a car with that amount of Km's is suspension and if its a auto the trans. My ls1 has done 215,000 and all i have had to replace are bushes and now onto my 3rd trans.

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
Front wheel bearings? Hard to say... If it has had a good service history, than nothing should be too far from good..

VT_Cruiser

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt SS S2 5.7
Thanks for your reply guys, very much appreciated. I crawled in and checked the front suspension and noticed a few new bushes that were put in during the roadworthy. I will keep an eye on it and test the bearings tomorrow just to make sure all is well.

VT_Cruiser

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt SS S2 5.7
Checked it all out today and the bearings are wearing just fine at this stage, which is just as well because i have just seen how big a job it is to replace them compared to my older cars. You know, when it took 10 minutes a wheel to do yourself. Now it seems you need to allocate a weekend, $10 allowance for the swear box and kiss goodbye to the skin on your knuckles of both hands when the allan key pings off unexpectedly....... I swear they do it on purpose. :bomb: