Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT subs with stock head unit wiring

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Go after market, the stock head units are crap anyway, the after market unit should give you RCA connections, which will give a better signal to your sub. Repco have a Sony or JVC unit for $69 add $30 odd for a connection kit and you're in business!

They are both crap units but likely better than the stock unit, you get MP3 and Aux input.

For the power to turn on the amp, I would look for the wire connected to the head unit via ignition possibly the yellow or red, not sure on the commodores, but it is likely that every time you turn the car off the amp will make a pop sound, which gets annoying.

BTW the stereo code is kept in the ECU so connecting it to a Tech2 can get it out.

I have just put one of these in my VX NEW Alpine CDE W235EBT Double DIN Parrot Bluetooth CD MP3 Player Ipod Iphone USB | eBay

Good unit for a cheapy, has everything you could want. Add a facia kit and loom adaptors $60 odd, even add a steering wheel control kit for another $130 if needed and you're away.

Will sound 1 million times better than stock.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Its not likely to be the original head unit considering the 2 codes in the book don't work... In theory there should only be about 1300 different combinations.... and I can try 3 times every hour..... So.... bruteforce method, going at it for 24 hours a day, I can knock it over in under 2 months...

You can already remove one hour... The two codes in your book and 1111

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
You can already remove one hour... The two codes in your book and 1111

I would assume it wouldn't be 2222, 3333, 4444, 5555 or 6666

So that could save you another couple.

New head unit with harness adaptor kit and facia plate would take about 20 min to fit, just saved you nearly 2 months.

samuel.scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT SPAC 3.8 Manual
Upddate!
Replaced stock head unit with one from repco from automedia. Doubledin usb aux blutooth and preouts for sub and rears. Comes with harness. Installed. Doesnt quite fit properly, didnt have the mounting kit. New problem
Sub amp wont turn on
Checked amp in pulsar. Works.
Remote wire is fine. Fuses are good. Found a home for the ground wire. Power wire runs across the back of the engine bay, down the left and into the boot. Doesnt light up. Any ideas? Im thinking my battery terminals are too grubby for it possibly.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Check there's power at both the power and remote at the amp. Make sure earth is good

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
How do you know remote wire is fine?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride

samuel.scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT SPAC 3.8 Manual
Checked with a multimeter. Where I mounted the Earth wire was only getting about 2 volts.
Remounted it to behind the plastic cover at the tail end of the boot. Powered up. Did some tricky **** with the low/high pass filters on the amp, bridged the channels, managed to get it very balanced. Front speakers are an utter bag of **** though... tweeter is brash as hell and my drivers door panel vibrates horribly