Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT ticking problem.

sparra_gump

VP DRIVER
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive 3.8 sedan
Hi guys, I have just bought a series 1 VT exec v6 and there is a loud ticking noise coming from the engine when its cold, then when the car is warmer it is gone any ideas?

Thanks, SG

mortivivosdocent

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx S supercharged
my vx does the same thing when its cold but not when its warm. Someone suggested to me that it was because i was using crappy oil and someone else suggested it was because i was using regular unleaded fuel. its a very annoying noise though

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Plenty of posts on this - comes up about every 3 months.

Know one seems to know exacty why but many cars have the same issue. Silicon spray on the drive belts seems to be one cure (working on my S/c VX).

Cheers

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Dry lifters inside your motor pumping oil around.Noise disappears when oil is flowing sufficiently.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would check to see if it is the belt first. I know my belt sometomes makes a ticking noise when cold. To check, when your belt is ticking just drip a bit of water onto the belt while the motor is going. If the noise stops, then it is your belt and as said earlier,a bit of silicone spray should fix it. If you have silicone spray just spray it on instead of the the water.

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
sparra_gump said:
So how would i get the oil to flow properly?
Some cars are worse than others in relation to the lifters,some noise upon start up is normal for an older motor,however,if your's is beyond a joke your lifters may need replacing.