Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt to vy dash conversion

Vt2nvi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.7 6 speed
Ok so a lot of people think the vt to vy dash conversion is hard, it's not. Unless u have climate control. But here's how to for manual heater controls there's 2 ways. I've never attempted anything like this befor and still wasn't hard as long as you've got some common sence.

Dismantle: First off you need to take the terminals off the battery so there is no power to airbags or any wires, (fuse as well if u want). Take the vt dash and console out all switches, cluster, heater controls, light, light sensor and boot button also the metal bracket sitting on passenger air bag and the bracket bolted to the floor below the stereo Make sure u keep the hazard switch and leave the driver side bracket there.

Parts: Make sure u have everything to the vy dash including passenger side bracket, middle bracket bolted to the floor below the stereo and heater tube things that come off the heater box as brackets are a little different and heater tube things are about 1" longer and won't seal properly to door otherwise. Also grab the vy dash loom for plugs or change hole loom to vy with computer bcm ect. V6 should be fine but ls1 u need a pim or you will have a engine error code.

Wireing: the hardest part now u can attempt this yourself or get an auto elec that knows what he's doing to do it for u. No switch will just plug in, they may have the same plug but the pins are in different places except The boot release, light and light sensor for glovebox is the same so no need to change or cut, the heater controls once again straight forward colour to colour, has to be rewired or pins changed around to match vy plug, mode and headlight switch I left to the auto elec so not sure on them. Cluster I left to auto elec Also but needed vy plug to wire to vt loom so make sure u get that too. Now the hazards switch we couldn't work out it can be done but I done it different cause I couldn't be bothered waiting and ran out of cash for auto elec but apparently vt runs straight to indicators vy runs to bcm then indicators so I modified the vt switch to have the triangle vy tip on it with a little super glue filed out a little plastic from the middle vent works well looks neat. Now the ciggeret lighter is In a different spot just need a couple lengths of wire connect them and that's done also the window switches are same but pins in different spot again either go colour to clout or change pins to suit vy plug.

That's how I done it and everything works accept mode button but I think that was auto elects fault so make sure u get one that knows what there doing. Just need to get the cluster cleared of alarm notice and should be ok. I think that's all if u think I missed something ask away

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Edition S2 3.8
good luck resetting service reminder :)

VXPL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac Manual
Hey nice write up dude, you should have had the sparky go at the hazards first cause no one has worked em out yet! lol the mode and headlights were really easy I did em in about 20 mins and all works perfectly. Although keep in mind the set button wont work. For set just push both arrow buttons at the same time like you would on a vt dash.