Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Tow bar install????

ernie983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
So in summary, all that is required to install a towbar to a VT, is to unscrew the screws and clips, then bolt on towbar, then simply refit the plastic bumper.....

What is the REO bar? I have read somewhere that I need to cut into the bumper.............Is that true....

Thankxxxx

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Yours is a bit different to the one I removed from my car but the principle should be the same.
In my case I started by undoing the screws in the wheel arch where the mud flap sits then in the boot underneath the lights on both sides (underneath the carpet) there were some bolts to remove, from memory taking all that off will remove the rear bar. Then it's just a case off looking at how to mount the tow bar to the back of the car. Mine was mounted between the body and the brackets for the rear bar, it will all become clearer when you get the rear bar off. There should be a rubber grommet at the back somewhere that will allow you to get the wiring into the boot, mine had the flat loom that sat in the boot and you pulled out when you needed it. My rear bar also has a slight cut out on the bottom for the tow bar and in your pic it looks like you have a trim that the tow bar comes through so I would say you need to cut a hole in your rear bar. Then just put the bar back on in the opposite way you took it off. As for wiring it up I can't help you there maybe someone else can. It took me less than half an hour to remove from my car so it's not a hard job to put back on.
Hope this helped.

Last edited:

Neit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
VT wagon towbar with aftermarket fibreglass rear bumper .

Does the rear bumper have to come off to fit towbar it seems such a huge job just after I've painted the whole back end????

Bazal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Don't know if anyone can help. I'm fitting a genuine Holden towbar I was given to my VT. However I seem to be missing one important part. (I'm sure that it's the part that (anyone removing a towbar like this) would almost certainly leave bolted to the car, not realizing that it is actually part of the towbar assembly.

I've checked with Holden and they say that they are no longer in supply. The wreakers sell them as a complete assembly and won't separate this piece, which is understandable.

I'm sure that there are probably a fair few commodores that have had their towbars removed, but still have this part bolted to the underside of their car. Anyone have one to save me having to make one? I've attached modified the previous photo to show the piece I am missing.

Towbar

Bazal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Well that didn't work did it? I attached a photo to the last post but have no idea why it didn't appear. The piece I am referring to is the molded steel bracket that bolts on underneath and just behind the fuel tank (sedan). It has 4 holes in it, two for the studs that protrude from the bottom of the spare wheel well and two that have nuts welded on the back, for the bottom of the towbar assembly to bolt into.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I had the same prob when fitting a towbar on my sons car .Had a look at the local wreckers and i found at least 4 commodores that had the towbar removed but that bracket was still on the car. The guy at the wreckers said i could have it if i put a couple of bucks in the guide dogs collection tin . Have a look at one of those wreckers where you remove the parts yourself , i bet you will find a couple of VT /VYs ( they are all the same ) with them still attached.

Haltech 6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim & HSV XU6 VT II
You asked about the capacity of the tow bar looking at the one you have I would say it is only a 1200km one maybe 1600kg I got a 2100kg one for my VT and it has a brace that runs under the fuel tank aswell.. They should have a sticker on them stating their capacity.

Chris

Bazal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Yea thanks guys. Mine is the light 1200kg one, not planning on towing a horsefloat with the old girl! I'll check out some more Wreckers. As you say, I reckon there has to be plenty of them attached to the bottom of commodores not being used around the place. Just gotta find one.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
you can do it under 1 hour by yourself

Bull $#!t lol

Took me and a mate about 3 hours to pull the bar off one car and fit it to another.

The problem was with the bar in place on the bottom two bolts under the car, we couldn't get the bar to line up with the four bolts at the rear of the car.

In the end we bashed one side of the rear facing bolts downwards a little with a hammer, fitted the bar, applied the nuts and tightened them which pulled the bolts back straight. Not ideal but it done the job.

Also had to drill two holes to fit two other supports that go into the rear of the spare wheel well.