Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt turbo start up

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
So im turbocharging my vt commodore which is to the point of starting but it wont start up (mechanic said maybe fuel issues) ive tryed usuing start ya b#stard but all it did was get close then it backfire... id say the backfire was causr the guy i got to spay it in was spaying a bit much. Ive replaced 1 spark plug with an old one i got off a guy because i broke it in half trying to fit the downpipe, i 90% sure it works but could that be a problem?
Ive done allot to it in the past week so i dont know if one of the things isnt connected right or maybe not working properly... the injectors i got where brand new and the fuel pump i got was from a wreckers and from what i know they both didnt have anything wrong with them when i installed em. I know ive writen allot but if you got any suggestiong let me know please! Im checking tomorrow to see if the pump is working but after that all i could think of is the spark plug...

Ive got a remote tune made up and installed so that shouldnt be the problem but idk..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Start with basics, are you getting fuel and spark? Are all your loom plugs on tight? Is the engine earthed?

Memcal can be a starting issue but only really because of security if it's for the wrong model (i.e. VS tune in VT ECU). Would also try priming the fuel pump a good 5 or 6 times before you start cranking.

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
Start with basics, are you getting fuel and spark? Are all your loom plugs on tight? Is the engine earthed?

Memcal can be a starting issue but only really because of security if it's for the wrong model (i.e. VS tune in VT ECU). Would also try priming the fuel pump a good 5 or 6 times before you start cranking.
Ok so ill give the priming before i start a go and the memcal is for my model so that shouldnt be a problem then, ill check the earth cable on the fuel pump bolt but we didnt unplug it cause it was tight so i recon itll be fine. Would i be able to see the problem if i got a scanner? I got a thing to scan it for problems when the cars running but i could get my mechanics scanner if you think thats a good idea

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is your ECU linked to your BCM because I'm assuming that you might have changed the ECU.

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
Is your ECU linked to your BCM because I'm assuming that you might have changed the ECU.
So im not 100% on the hole ecu stuff but i talked to the guy and he said itll work for my car all ive replaced is the memcal not the actual ecu

Last edited:

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
So ive checked the fuel pump and ive got the connections right and its also sending fuel though which i checked for by cranking it but it doesnt help me with it not starting... could it just be that the engine is trying to get it to work but isnt used to it? Im too sure what to do at the moment

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
could it just be that the engine is trying to get it to work but isnt used to it?

Car has to run to do this.

Did you check for spark?

Other easy ones are to swap your original memcal back in and see if it starts (it'll be fine idling), check your leads are in the right order, check your loom is plugged into the ECU properly if you took it out (I've been bitten by this before), lock and unlock the car (could be a disarm feature), make sure the CAS plug is in good and tight.

Also, you said you got the manifolds fabricated, you got pictures? (just out of curiosity)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Where have you got your maf what injectors do you have

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
Car has to run to do this.

Did you check for spark?

Other easy ones are to swap your original memcal back in and see if it starts (it'll be fine idling), check your leads are in the right order, check your loom is plugged into the ECU properly if you took it out (I've been bitten by this before), lock and unlock the car (could be a disarm feature), make sure the CAS plug is in good and tight.

Also, you said you got the manifolds fabricated, you got pictures? (just out of curiosity)
Ive got to check for spark, also ill try the memcal thing at the end but ill check the plugs cause i may have knocked one of the ecu plugs. Ill send some photos of the manifolds a little later tonight and where the guy put the turbo in the car i can only fit the maf on before the turbo, origanally i was going to have the bov returning into the turbo but i have no room for anything other than the maf. Like i said maf before turbo and for injectors ive got 36lb injectors from the supercharged version of my engine

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
It will be extremely hard to get driving nice with the maf in front of the turbo the delay between the throttle opening and the maf reading the change in air flow is drama same with when the throttle closes